Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 1, 2008, 01:46 PM
Top Prospect

Default Harddrive upgrade time

Currently I have a x2 Seagate Barracuda 500GB hard drives and i want to upgrade one of them to a faster/ newer hard drive to play my games from, so i have some questions.

1) What hard drive do you recommend
2) How would i get my games to ONLY PLAY from that hard drive

Thanks!
Old September 1, 2008, 04:32 PM
Allstar

install your games ONLY on that hard drive;p
Old September 1, 2008, 05:04 PM
MVP

Only thing thats going to be faster is a Raptor/Velociraptor.

I would suggest the 300Gb Velociraptor since the Raptors are only 150gb and thats a little small for a games drive.

To get them to play from that drive, choose that drive from the game installation and make a shortcut to the game from your desktop.
Old September 1, 2008, 05:12 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Why not stick both 500GB drives in RAID0 and get a Western Digital 640GB drive to keep all important data on?

Obviously use the RAID0 array for the OS and games.
Old September 2, 2008, 03:49 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I would recommend waiting. Right now you will have so spend quite a bit of money to get a good boost in benchmarks; either go the Velociraptor route or RAID (or both if cost is not an option). But that will give you a boost in bechmarks and not that much in real world use. It will speed up your load times but not much else.

The new crop of SSDs are coming in the near future. SSDs usually have stunning seek speeds and good read times. They will also increase competition and drive down the cost of existing drives.

And x-mess sales will be starting up soon.
Old September 2, 2008, 03:57 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian7 View Post
Only thing thats going to be faster is a Raptor/Velociraptor.

I would suggest the 300Gb Velociraptor since the Raptors are only 150gb and thats a little small for a games drive.

To get them to play from that drive, choose that drive from the game installation and make a shortcut to the game from your desktop.
Incorrect.

Raptor drives are only going to show very little difference in load times not game play.

Just keep your drives they are plenty fast.

Worry about upgrading cpu, ram, or gpu more than anything else.
Old September 2, 2008, 05:47 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit View Post
I would recommend waiting. Right now you will have so spend quite a bit of money to get a good boost in benchmarks; either go the Velociraptor route or RAID (or both if cost is not an option). But that will give you a boost in bechmarks and not that much in real world use. It will speed up your load times but not much else.
I agree, I had a raid 0 setup for years and load times were the only benefit.
Old September 2, 2008, 06:24 AM
Allstar
F@H

faster HDD won't gain you much, a little faster initial startup, and loading levels, if any.
After that games really only stream the music, which is nothing for any HDD even a USB one.

Most games give you an option to install anywhere you like if you choose custom install, and 95% of the files get installed there, and a few setup/savegames might go somewhere in the Documants folder.
Old September 2, 2008, 10:42 AM
Top Prospect

I think im just going to wait for the x58 to come out with the Nehalm and upgrade to that with ddr3 ram and i might get a new Velociraptor aswell, but that wont be until the Nehalm has its first price drop
Old September 2, 2008, 12:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillsdale View Post
I think im just going to wait for the x58 to come out with the Nehalm and upgrade to that with ddr3 ram and i might get a new Velociraptor aswell, but that wont be until the Nehalm has its first price drop
will all be a waste of money and time.