Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Storage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/)
-   -   Looking for feedback on using esata (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/9710-looking-feedback-using-esata.html)

yamawho August 29, 2008 06:51 AM

Looking for feedback on using esata

I have two Asus mobo's that support esata and noticed there is an auto and manual setting in the bios. Has anyone been using this feature ?

yamawho August 30, 2008 07:32 AM

The mobo in question is Asus P5K SE

I found this on the Asus forum posted by djd ...

I have finally, resolved my problem of communication esata among external hd "Lacie d2 quadra next esata" and motherboard P5K, and I am pleased to explain you as I have resolved, hoping that can help someone of you ; )

1) I have eliminated the partition of the hd Lacie, windows uninstalled (management peripheral) and disconnect from the motherboard.
2) restarted the Pc, I have uninstalled the controller "Jmicron 36x raid esata/pata" in windows (management peripheral)
3) restarted the Pc, I have reinstalled the controller Jmicron, with the last update driver (1.17.38 WHQL)
4) after having turn off the Pc, I have connected the hd Lacie esata and turned on in "auto" position, no in "on" (always active) position.
5) restarted the Pc, the hd Lacie is automatically installed alone in windows, I have created the partition, and formatted.

as for magic, everything now works well, I succeed in copying, to transfer from inside hd files sata2 and pata, to hd Lacie esata, and vice versa, with a good speed...

I have to say however that if I copy files from inside hd sata2 or pata, to external hd esata, the speed is really esata, while if I reverse, therefore I copy files from the external hd esata, to inside hd sata2 or pata, speed is not the same one as in the precedent case, but slightly smaller.
this I believe is normal to this point, and however even if so was not, in comparison to all the problems that have had with this hd esata and the motherboard, I have to say that I am satisfied me! ; )

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Forum- P5K and eSATA connection problem with WD Studio

Sounds like a weekend project ... :blarg:

jgerber December 27, 2008 12:13 AM

So far I'm having a problem using esata with Thermal Take R-Duo enclosure.
(The enclosure is set to Linear, with 2 different sized drives in it). When using USB it works fine, and both drives show up. But when using esata, I can only see/use one of the drives. Also, when using esata connector, I can turn the enclosure on, and Windows will show it, but there is no "unmount / discconect" icons for me to use before powering it off.
Tried installing the "Intel Matrix Storage Console" but still only shows the one drive when using esata. I'd really like to get the esata connection to work.. but currently have to use the usb : (

My system: P5Q Motherboard, Intel Q6600 cpu, Windows Vista 32-Bit, esata connected via a pci-bracket (which is connected to a SATA connector on the motherboard. SATA is set to AHCI in bios.

freaked December 27, 2008 02:47 AM

isn't it that the way esata/usb works? i mean with (e)sata you can only connect 1 device per sata plug vs usb where you can daisy chain pretty much what you want as long as every device has enough power.

Exmortis December 27, 2008 04:52 AM

I have used an estata external drive for backup for some time. I have had no issues with it. I use an older drive I had laying around so not sure if performance I see is due to old drive or a drop due to the connection, but it still ran very well. Made a great offline backup or storage device.

I did not use it for day to day operations though.

jgerber December 27, 2008 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freaked (Post 131772)
isn't it that the way esata/usb works? i mean with (e)sata you can only connect 1 device per sata plug vs usb where you can daisy chain pretty much what you want as long as every device has enough power.

That could be... I've contacted Thermaltake and asked them if they know what is going on. They responded to me once asking for more details... so I'm waiting for their second response.

(I had assumed the enclosure itself has some form of built in controller, that would allow both drives to be detected via the single esata connection, but now that you mention it, it would make sense if only one drive would be available in Linear mode.)

So I'm now thinking that the odds are, if I changed my enclosure to be Raid 0 or 1, or even as "Big" (the setting that combines the two HDD's as one), then the controller inside the enclosure would likely take advantage of both HDD's.

Malam December 27, 2008 02:30 PM

Instead of using one of the 6 SATA connections why not use the external eSATA connection at the back of the motherboard? It is designed more for an external drive than the 6 SATA. I have my Antec Enclosure with a Hitachi 750G drive connected to the external eSATA plug and its working ok on my ASUS P5QL-E. You have to enable the Jmicron Controller in your Bios first to use it though.

LCB001 December 27, 2008 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freaked (Post 131772)

I think you need a 'port multipier' to see more than one drive. From the review AKG did of the Sans Digital Mobilestore;

"In JBOD mode the enclosure hard drives will show up as 2 separate drives under USB but only one drive will be seen and be usable when using eSATA. This is because you need a port multiplier (sold separately) for you computer to be able to see and access more than one array per eSATA/SATA cable."

and

"Please Note: This is a common trait that many dual bay eSATA enclosures share and is more the fault of the eSATA standard than that of the manufacturer. For this reason this wonky behavior can not and will not be held against any enclosure that exhibits it. If we ever test an enclosure that does not exhibit this behavior and in fact has a built in port multiplier we will make sure to highlight this for you."

Check the review here: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...re-review.html

jgerber December 27, 2008 04:23 PM

lcb001... thanks for the reference/link!!!

AkG December 27, 2008 04:36 PM

LOL darn beaten to the punch! LCB001 is right, you will need a port multiplier. The rule is 1 esata port = 1 raid array. Even if that "raid array" is a JBOD single drive. If you have two drives operating separately (I.E two arrays in Just a Bunch Of Disks mode) in the same enclosure you will need a port multiplier to "see" both. Usually, the mfg'er offers this as an "optional" part. IMHO its a real PITA and the more higher end bad boys now come with this simple little piece of kit.