Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Storage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/)
-   -   RAID0 Backup S/W (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/9649-raid0-backup-s-w.html)

DK2 August 26, 2008 04:50 PM

RAID0 Backup S/W

Before I didnít have raid and was just using nero backitup and it work well, but it doesnít do raid drives.
I looked at TrueImage and it looks like it does raid backup and restore, but their
info is kinda thin.

The reason Iím looking around is because MS backup doesnít have compression.
In the end it still might be the safest way to go though.

So I was wondering what people use to backup and restore drives in RAID0.
(I have 2 vraps in raid0, and I have 2 750G hdd for storage and backup.)

Cptn Vortex August 26, 2008 05:10 PM

easiest thing to do..... buy a 3rd harddrive, Image you RAID-0 somewhere, create RAID 5 with the 3 drives and image back..... thats my 2c

Jack Rabbit August 26, 2008 05:33 PM

Drive level 'backup' solutions basically never work with fakeraid. You need a file system level backup solution.

There are lots of options. There are several backup articles on Lifehacker.com you can search for. They never mention my current favorite which is Comodo Backup. I am still working on the best setup but Comodo does just about every backup flavour you can think of so something should work for you. The only annoyance I have found so far is you have to run the tray applicaiton for the 'service' to work; this is just bent but is a minor annoyance.

DK2 August 26, 2008 06:26 PM

Cptn, another Vrap? yer trying to break me arenít you! :biggrin:
Iím more comfortable with a good ol backup rather than raid5, thanks thou.

The System has only been running a few days.
What Iím trying to do exactly is get an initial disk image of my installation (an HDD and DVD backup),
and also an image of my old system that I read with the new system, just in case I miss copying something over.
So then if something happens I can always get back to that point, these are the primary applications and setup that I need.
After that I always do separate backup of my work folders, whatever.
Game installs etc. they donít matter, they are easy to install again, and all
you lose is save games and stuff, and mods always go in my work folders anyways.

My last build I used ghost, the backup went great, the restore not so much, so I trashed that.

Squeetard August 26, 2008 06:31 PM

Acronis true image works great. I have nightly server images running to external drives using acronis. Raid 10.

Cptn Vortex August 26, 2008 07:14 PM

I love talking people into spending more money. Its my job!!

DK2 August 26, 2008 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squeetard (Post 83376)
Acronis true image works great. I have nightly server images running to external drives using acronis. Raid 10.

Ya, I did some searching and poking around in some forums and Acronis seems to always come up as the best.
Their support forum has some good info on backing up and restoring raid setups
using trueimage as well, and not just from users.
So it looks like thatís the way to go for what I want to do.

Jack Rabbit August 26, 2008 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DK2 (Post 83373)
Iím more comfortable with a good ol backup rather than raid5, thanks thou.

As you should be. RAID /= backup

Quote:

What Iím trying to do exactly is get an initial disk image of my installation (an HDD and DVD backup),

Is that really necessary? In two months all your patches, configs, and tweaks will be out of date. If a drive dies on you how long will it take you to replace it? After that wait will the difference between half an hour and half a day really be worth it; especially considering that full system backups are often hit or miss? I am not saying it is impossible; just that it is often unlikely for home use.

Quote:

Game installs etc. they donít matter, they are easy to install again, and all you lose is save games and stuff...

Comodo, and lots of other software, lets you target individual folders or even files. So you can back up your save games and not the rest of the game install. Considering the save games are usually only a few megs each this might be worth setting up. I hate losing my progress.

Quote:

My last build I used ghost, the backup went great, the restore not so much, so I trashed that

Ghost is notoriously flaky. The vast majority of Ghost users make Ghost images but never even attempt to restore from them.

DK2 August 26, 2008 08:49 PM

I know what your saying Jack Rabbit, but I got a lot of stuff to install, call them plugins, and doing it twice isn’t fun. It’ll take me another day yet.

DK2 August 28, 2008 08:31 AM

Just to finish this off for anybody else thatís looking for a backup solution.

I got Acronis TrueImage Home 11 and Iím quite pleased with the tests.
My old system is completely imaged to an external HDD, and I can read
the image on my new system, and restore any folder or file I want from that.
It also supports restores to a new path, not just the original path.
(the old system is getting a re-format / re-install)

The boot disk that trueimage makes is able to read/write all the drives in my new
system, the non-raid ones and it also sees my two drives configured as raid0 as a
single drive, not as two individual drives.

So that should do it, I can make an initial image of my raid0 drive, and do periodic
incremental backups. I can then use that to recover any file I like, and also
restore the entire image back to the raid0 drive if need be, from a separate bootup disk,
including any of the incremental backups. These backup images can also be split
into smaller files, so I could burn them onto dvds as extra protection, if the
backup drive also craps out.

Iím impressed, itís almost too perfect to believe.