Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old August 24, 2008, 11:13 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hell
Posts: 3,828
Default

The OP had a problem that I have had experience with. I told him what I did about it.

He did the same thing and it worked.

Then you pipe in with some stupid analogy about low oil pressure and how he may lose his lifes work, While quoting the very post in which he states THIS HARD DRIVE IS NOT IMPORTANT. Learn to read.

Or better yet, stop giving advice about something you know nothing about. Or learn to google the fancy internet machine.

I did a quick search of your posts on this forum and there is a surprising number of posts by you followed by people telling you you're wrong and to STFU. I just left one where you are arguing with MushkinGreg about memory for christsakes.

I don't think its your bad advice (Its so damn easy to prove you wrong) but the acerbic nature of your posts that is rubbing me and others the wrong way.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old August 24, 2008, 11:16 AM
enaberif's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgahree, AB
Posts: 10,604
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
The OP had a problem that I have had experience with. I told him what I did about it.

He did the same thing and it worked.

Then you pipe in with some stupid analogy about low oil pressure and how he may lose his lifes work, While quoting the very post in which he states THIS HARD DRIVE IS NOT IMPORTANT. Learn to read.

Or better yet, stop giving advice about something you know nothing about. Or learn to google the fancy internet machine.

I did a quick search of your posts on this forum and there is a surprising number of posts by you followed by people telling you you're wrong and to STFU. I just left one where you are arguing with MushkinGreg about memory for christsakes.

I don't think its your bad advice (Its so damn easy to prove you wrong) but the acerbic nature of your posts that is rubbing me and others the wrong way.


My analogy was because people don't pay attention to warning signs and then shit happens and they wonder why.

He obviously doesn't care about warning signs so it'll be his loss.

That argument we've been having isn't about memory its about Vista.. learn to read.

Chill out and quit being so nit picky and anal about everything. We are a friendly bunch around here and frankly I'm getting tired of your attitude you throw around.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old August 24, 2008, 11:41 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hell
Posts: 3,828
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
You obviously have no idea then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
And because of reasons like this you know you have to much money and need to spend some.
Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Sorry but to even think like you do shows you how gullible you are by media and others out there.
Nice friendly advice you give out.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old August 24, 2008, 11:46 AM
enaberif's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgahree, AB
Posts: 10,604
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
Nice friendly advice you give out.
Get a sense of humor and lighten up.

Not everything in life has to be taken so seriously.

If people were bothered there are ways to let it be known.

So let the people who need to matter take care of things and not someone who feels they need to be the hall monitor.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old August 24, 2008, 11:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,221

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
I have a computer thats been giving me the s.m.a.r.t. failure message at startup for 5 years now. No problems and s.m.a.r.t. is disabled in the bios. Dont lose any sleep over this.
Actually while SMART does not predict 100% failures, it is good for about 30-40% of gradual failures. If you get a SMART error during post, it means that one or more attributes have reached threshold levels - use a tool like speedfan or EVEREST to check SMART attributes, and check which one is affected - worsening reallocated sector count is NOT something you should ignore - any critical values like worsening spinup times, seek & write errors, retry counts, uncorrectable errors, pending sectors.... These are types of gradual failures and if it gets worse that should raise concern - make backups ! your drive WILL fail eventually. I have an old Maxtor too that showed a few reallocated sectors - but the count never went up, only had 7 and it stayed like that for years. But if you get a SMART error at startup it indicates a threshold level - even the Seagate drives are known for higher SMART values for seek and raw error, but they are within safe levels.
Of all the motheboards I've used dating back to the 386, all of them had the option to turn on/off, and you will find that option on the very first page where you configure your drives ! If you really want to see if it is a compatibility or a false error check with a monitoring tool in windows like EVEREST, SpeedFAN, HDDLife Pro, HDTune....
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old August 24, 2008, 12:22 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hell
Posts: 3,828
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKStar View Post
Of all the motheboards I've used dating back to the 386, all of them had the option to turn on/off, and you will find that option on the very first page where you configure your drives !
Yep, simple logic tells you that mobos have to have this option because not all HDD's are smart capable. Enaberif was just pulling another fact out of his ass to support a losing argument.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old August 24, 2008, 12:22 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hell
Posts: 3,828
Default

The hdd I had was a clients and it did contain critical data. So I did a lot of research into this. Popped in another drive and ghosted the original. Ran a whole suite of tests on it, came up good so I popped it into another machine and five years later still good.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old August 24, 2008, 12:49 PM
CTA's Avatar
CTA CTA is offline
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: surrey (vancouver) bc canada
Posts: 2,012
Default

actually... sometime both of you are right...

for example... i did ignore smart warning... only "1" in "reallocated sector count" and i didnt bother to disable smart feature in my mom computer ( i used her to fix hard drive...) and i used hdd without any problems like copy, paste, transfer, etc...

enaberif is right... ignore warning is not good idea... can risk your life or money (hardware, or other failed or toasted) anyhow, i am always careful and should know what i am doing... i am not stupid to use it for back up...

if this is hardware problem then thats something i CANT repair... impossible?


Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
Dont lose any sleep over this.
what do you mean?

hibernation/sleep mode?
can you please explain this?


Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKStar View Post
These are types of gradual failures and if it gets worse that should raise concern - make backups ! your drive WILL fail eventually. I have an old Maxtor too that showed a few reallocated sectors - but the count never went up, only had 7 and it stayed like that for years.
i already transfer all files/folder into other good hard drive into my mom's computer...

i also did Darik's Boot And Nuke | Hard Drive Disk Wipe the hard drive... i want to get rid of it... like sell it to stupid buyer >_>;

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKStar View Post
If you really want to see if it is a compatibility or a false error check with a monitoring tool in windows like EVEREST, SpeedFAN, HDDLife Pro, HDTune....
interesting... i will check if i have time...

i did use WD lifeguard to write zero because it had some bad sectors... now its fine... (well two failed in quick test and extended test so i cant fix it...)



ps. honestly, i like enaberif's harshly advices... i think its funny but sometime true...
__________________
---
NEW: customize case, hx100, i7 920, supreme hf, x58 sabertooth, 3gbx2 ram of ripjaws, xfx hd6950 CF. vertex 2 60gb, seagate and hitachi 1tb, dual mcp355 with ek rex v2, 2x koolance ar697, 2x mcr320, 6x zm-f3 fans.
OLD: cm 690, hx620, intel q9450, True Black, ga-ep45-ud3p, 2gbx2 ram of mushkin xp2 8500, xfx 285. wd caviar se16 640gb, 4x zm-f3 fans.

Last edited by CTA; August 24, 2008 at 01:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old August 24, 2008, 01:03 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hell
Posts: 3,828
Default

"Don't lose any sleep over this" Nothing to do with computers, it's a saying meaning "Don't worry about this problem".
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old August 24, 2008, 01:37 PM
CTA's Avatar
CTA CTA is offline
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: surrey (vancouver) bc canada
Posts: 2,012
Default

ah i understood... that quote is new to me...

thank you for explaining
__________________
---
NEW: customize case, hx100, i7 920, supreme hf, x58 sabertooth, 3gbx2 ram of ripjaws, xfx hd6950 CF. vertex 2 60gb, seagate and hitachi 1tb, dual mcp355 with ek rex v2, 2x koolance ar697, 2x mcr320, 6x zm-f3 fans.
OLD: cm 690, hx620, intel q9450, True Black, ga-ep45-ud3p, 2gbx2 ram of mushkin xp2 8500, xfx 285. wd caviar se16 640gb, 4x zm-f3 fans.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes