Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 10, 2008, 07:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Raptor or 640 GB drive

I am going to get 2 new HDDs, as my 320 GB drives are getting a little small *too much topgear ;) * I was wondering how 2 raptors in raid 0 would compare to 2 640gb HDDS in raid 0. as for the 640's i'm leaning towards seagate. I have never had problems with thme, but have had problems with WD. Plus they have a bigger cache. I've heard raptors are a fair ammount noiser, so how much of a performance boost would i get with 2 of those?
Old August 10, 2008, 08:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The WD 640 gb's will stomp all over two raptors, although I suggest getting three 640's and going with RAID5 for some security. I can't say for the Seagate's I've not used them in years.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old August 10, 2008, 08:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

I'm looking at those 640's too. Just can't decide between WD or Seagate. Been hearing a lot of hype with the WD 640GB seem to beat the Seagate.
Old August 11, 2008, 06:42 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggs78 View Post
I'm looking at those 640's too. Just can't decide between WD or Seagate. Been hearing a lot of hype with the WD 640GB seem to beat the Seagate.
Both hdd's are a dollar apart at DC and I was wondering the same between Seagate & WD. I had a WD for a few weeks and had no issues ... does the 32mg cashe make a difference ? Is one louder then the other ? I read somewhere that WD decided not to go with 32mg because they found it did not help.

Found this ...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/24...-seagate-cache
Old August 11, 2008, 06:47 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
The WD 640 gb's will stomp all over two raptors, although I suggest getting three 640's and going with RAID5 for some security. I can't say for the Seagate's I've not used them in years.
You would loose some of that performance. Also, it is unlikely the OP's mainboard would support RAID 5 so would also need a controller card. However, if you fill 2x640G on RAID0 you better have a good backup plan for when one lets go.

Here is a head to head review. The Raptors put up a fight but there are some weird results in certain areas. Since your problem is the lack of space the 640s are the better choice, IMHO.
Old August 11, 2008, 07:22 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia View Post
I am going to get 2 new HDDs, as my 320 GB drives are getting a little small *too much topgear ;) * I was wondering how 2 raptors in raid 0 would compare to 2 640gb HDDS in raid 0. as for the 640's i'm leaning towards seagate. I have never had problems with thme, but have had problems with WD. Plus they have a bigger cache. I've heard raptors are a fair ammount noiser, so how much of a performance boost would i get with 2 of those?

here ya go

Western Digital Raptor or Seagate? RAID 0 or No RAID? | The "Break it Down" Blog
AMD Phenom II 940 @ 3.0Ghz | OCZ Vendetta II | Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H 790GX/SB750 | 2x2gig Musking Redlines 5-5-5-18-24 T2 | XFX 8800GT XT 512MB @ 702/1023 | WD Raptor 36,74gig | OCZ GameXtreme 850w | Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 | Samsung Syncmaster 2443BW | Logitec x530 5.1 | Windows 7 Home Pre.64-bit

Old August 11, 2008, 08:36 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CntdwnToExtn View Post
That doesn't compare either of the drives he is asking about.
Old August 11, 2008, 09:40 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
That doesn't compare either of the drives he is asking about.

it takes 10K technology and puts it against seagate .11 technology, which is what the 640's are built on.

not the same drives, but the same technology.
noone's posted comparison to seagate technology (which is what he said he's thinking about). only WD vs WD.
simply only a baseline to look at. i've graduated grade 1, i'm preeeety sure that i know they wern't the same drives.
maybe i should of specified, but as the review is talking about, it's not comparing those exact drives but how the .11 will stack up aginst 10k drives.
and how about the second post comparing 640 to a 500gig...he didn't say anything about a 500gig.
AMD Phenom II 940 @ 3.0Ghz | OCZ Vendetta II | Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H 790GX/SB750 | 2x2gig Musking Redlines 5-5-5-18-24 T2 | XFX 8800GT XT 512MB @ 702/1023 | WD Raptor 36,74gig | OCZ GameXtreme 850w | Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 | Samsung Syncmaster 2443BW | Logitec x530 5.1 | Windows 7 Home Pre.64-bit

Old August 11, 2008, 10:29 AM

My System Specs

But the Velociraptors are significantly faster than the old 74GB plattered raptors. Same goes for the 640gb drives. The 640GB drives will wipe the floor against the 7200.11 500GB.
Old August 11, 2008, 10:52 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Reading this again I realise that Phobia did not specify what kinds of Raptor. I just assumed Phobia meant the 150s as the VelociRaptors are $300ish and the 640s are $100ish.

My understanding is that the WD and Segate 640s have very similar benchmarks. Anyone have a review handy?

The VelociRaptors top SPCR's list of best quiet drives if you take them out of the stupid case. The are also very low power consumption and kick ass fast. If you do not mind spending that kind of dosh they are the top of the line in all respects.