Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 2, 2008, 02:02 PM
Top Prospect

Default Is info that was in RAID 0 Still easily Accessable?!

I am wanting to sell a couple of Hard drives that were in RAID 0 config. I went into the BIOS and Cleared the RAID Config so I could install WIN xp on one of them. I had no issues installing my WIN XP 32 on them, But I did format them first.
So my question is this. Since the other two Hard drives that were in RAID 0 have not been re formatted since I cleared the RAID 0 Config, Is the info that was on them still available to someone if I sell it too them? I am concerned that someone with the right know how could access the info that is still on them.
Wouldn't they have to somehow use a RAID 0 Format and have the same OS that was used to access the info?
please can someone tell me if the info that is still on them could be easily accessed?
Thanx
System spec: Intel i7 2600k, Gigabyte GTX 570 Super Overclock, Kingston DDR3 2X4 GB sticks, ASUS P8P67 PRO, Cooler Master 700 watt PSU, 750GB*2 Sata,SATA III 1TB HDD Acer 24 Widescreen, Antec 300, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
Old August 2, 2008, 02:09 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

plug them in and delete the partition. or use a proggy like killdisk to wipe them.
Old August 2, 2008, 02:27 PM
Top Prospect

They are all still hooked up to the server case.
How would I go about getting access to the other three HD's when they are already hooked up and I can't 'See' them from within Windows?
System spec: Intel i7 2600k, Gigabyte GTX 570 Super Overclock, Kingston DDR3 2X4 GB sticks, ASUS P8P67 PRO, Cooler Master 700 watt PSU, 750GB*2 Sata,SATA III 1TB HDD Acer 24 Widescreen, Antec 300, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
Old August 2, 2008, 02:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

If you break the raid array the data is gone.
Old August 2, 2008, 02:57 PM
Top Prospect

Well as you know the RAID array has been cleared. I am just being extra careful i guess. So it would be very hard for a person to get any info from them right?
There is no professional apps that someone can use to try and recover some of the info!?
I will take your word if you say so. You have been nothing but helpful to me so far:)
Thanx again.
Old August 2, 2008, 03:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushwickbill View Post
Well as you know the RAID array has been cleared. I am just being extra careful i guess. So it would be very hard for a person to get any info from them right?
There is no professional apps that someone can use to try and recover some of the info!?
I will take your word if you say so. You have been nothing but helpful to me so far:)
Thanx again.
If someone REALLY wanted to I'm sure they could.

Thats why a disk like the DBAN which does DoD wipes is the best solution as this will nullify anything that might be on the disk.

I remember once I found a old hard drive that was empty but once I ran it through a data recovery suite I found wills and estate writeups for a major lawyer haha.
Old August 2, 2008, 03:04 PM
F@H

My System Specs

With raid 0 (data striping) the data is gone. If you were using Raid 1 (mirror) or Raid 5 (which is striping with CRC) the data is recoverable. That's why you see posts from guys crying about losing their data when a HD goes in their array. Most gamers use Raid 0 because it is the fastest.

If it really bothers you, stick the HD in another machine, use killdisk.