Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 1, 2008, 06:20 AM
MVP

Default funny thing about seagte lap top drives....

just a short funny story...

got a new seagate laptop drive the other drive. take it out of the package to get it ready. didnt look carefully and thus didnt see the puddle of water right where i set it down.
(condensed off a bottle of water)

pick up the hard drive to install and watched the water coming out of it. realize that i now get to order another laptop drive from NCIX because right where i set it down there is a small vent hole in the drive and the water is actually INSIDE the drive. shake gently and hear it moving around (the water).

relocate hard drive to trash bin and get on the web to NCIX

i laughed after awhile and hope this can make someone else laugh.

rob123
Old August 1, 2008, 06:24 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Heh.....

So you've graduated from waiting for HDDs to self destruct and now use a more active method? :)

I swear, I've never seen anybody go through HDDs like you.... :)

Hi Rob!!!!

(Mr. Steve Wilson)

(BTW.... I'd take the drive out of the trash bin and leave it to air out for a month or so.... might not be something you'd want to trust your OS to, but it might be good enough for one of the 2.5" external drive caddys).

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old August 1, 2008, 06:50 AM
Allstar
F@H

Grab some silica gel or a bag of rice, suck the water out of that faster then a you know what and a you know who. I'm pretty sure it's just a breather hole, that's why it says do not cover. I think you'll be fine if you can get the water out of it.

Old August 1, 2008, 07:00 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

ooooooooooooooooh - my sympathies.

but yeah, do not chuck it. It will probably work fine after it dries out.
Old August 1, 2008, 11:53 AM
MVP

Default something i forgot to add

i forgot to mention that while trying to get some of the water out it slipped out of my hand. when i picked it up it was obviously toast. try to imagine rice inside a little box and you'll get the idea.

so it looks like SS Wilson is right. some people have a black thumb for plants i have TWO for hard drives and it appears that i have taken testing of drives to new heights.

so, old one gone, new one on the way. laughing about it now.

cheers on this fine friday.

rob123