Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 27, 2008, 06:35 PM
Top Prospect

Default Stupid Floppy Drive isn't working?!?!

Alright I am getting to the point of wanting to abort the whole Trying to delete the RAID setup.
I am trying to get a Floppy disk drive to work on my Sig rig to install the RAID drivers on a Floppy disk to use to Re format the RAID Hard Drives.
My Sig Rig has never had a Floppy drive installed.
So I connected the Floppy Drive Ribbon to the MOBO, Now the thing I think is wrong here is which plug do I use to connect the Floppy drive. I have two plugs that will fit into the floppy, one has a P11 and the other has P15 on it. In my MOBO manual it does not say anywhere that I saw which plug to use to connect a floppy drive. So which one do I use?
I tried both, And the Drive doesn't seem to be working.
when I open 'My Computer' Tab from Windows it shows that the Floppy drive is connected. I went into properties and it says 'The device is working properly" which is a good sign. But when I go to put a disk in the floppy drive nothing happens. So I try to open it through the 'My computer' option, and it says, Please insert a disk into Drive a
Do I need to have a driver installed to get this Floppy drive to work?
I have never installed a floppy drive before so I need a little help please.
Once I get this Floppy drive working then I can put the RAID drivers on it and go from there.
Thanx
System spec: Intel i7 2600k, Gigabyte GTX 570 Super Overclock, Kingston DDR3 2X4 GB sticks, ASUS P8P67 PRO, Cooler Master 700 watt PSU, 750GB*2 Sata,SATA III 1TB HDD Acer 24 Widescreen, Antec 300, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
Old July 27, 2008, 06:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

floppy cables usually have 2 ends or 3 ends.

Old July 27, 2008, 06:56 PM
Top Prospect

Thanx for the pic, But what is this trying to tell me?
the Floppy cable I am using only has two ends, One to go into the MOBO, one to go into the Floppy drive.
When I go into device manager it shows that the Device is working properly. But when I put a disk in nothing happens. I tried to do a disk check and nothing happens??
Do I need a driver for windows to see the Floppy drive properly?
C'Mon enaberif it is all up to you:)
System spec: Intel i7 2600k, Gigabyte GTX 570 Super Overclock, Kingston DDR3 2X4 GB sticks, ASUS P8P67 PRO, Cooler Master 700 watt PSU, 750GB*2 Sata,SATA III 1TB HDD Acer 24 Widescreen, Antec 300, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
Old July 27, 2008, 06:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

there should be a twist on the cable.

twist goes towards floppy.
Old July 27, 2008, 10:04 PM
Top Prospect

My Cable is going in that direction. In the Server MOBO the Power for the Zip drive comes from the DVD drive. The little plug comes off that same run of cables from PSU and connects into the Floppy drive Via small white plug. In my Sig rig where I am trying to get the Floppy drive to load in windows, I have two extra plugs that both fit into the Floppy drive. I looked through the ASUS P5B Mother Board manual to see if there is a Power 'Out' For the Floppy drive coming off the Mobo to hook into. Don't see it. So my guess is that I need to use one of the plugs that fit into the floppy drive coming from my PSU. I can't believe the Headaches I am having trying to get these Drives deleted and ready for Windows Install??
Anyway, Thanx for all the help guys.
Is it Possible to just put my main Hard drive from my Sig Rig into the server case and hook it into the server MOBO? Then copy the Files to the Floppy frm there. Reboot and hit F6, Load the drivers from the Floppy disk, Hopefully get into this 'Storage device manager' to delete the RAID setup. Then I could install my Win XP 32 onto them. I don't want to even try to keep any type of RAID setup on the Fresh install, just linstall Windows XP like normal. Just keep two of the hard drives for my Sig Rig, Then put the other Two 750's back into my Old Case with Server Board and E6400.
Man what a big progect for me just to hopefully gain a Higher C2D Overclock to boost Gaming Apps.
Just need to get these RAID drivers onto the Floppy drive.
Old August 5, 2008, 07:53 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushwickbill View Post
So I try to open it through the 'My computer' option, and it says, Please insert a disk into Drive a
It sounds to me like you have the floppy drive installed correctly since it shows up under "My Computer". Did you try putting a different disk in the drive? If that doesn't work try the disk in another computer with a floppy drive. If that works then swap out your floppy drive to see if it's cooked.
Old August 6, 2008, 09:21 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

The cable should have a colored stripe on one edge. The striped side of the cable should go to pin1 on the mb and on the end closest to the power plug side on the FD.
The FD light will stay on constantly if one end is reversed.
You can also manually uninstall the FD from device manager and reinstall with add/remove hardware or just reboot and see if windows detects and adds it.
Old August 6, 2008, 12:54 PM
Allstar
F@H

Try putting the RAID drivers onto another floppy. When I had my 680i, the floppy they gave me was damaged somehow (couldn't physically see anything wrong) and it wouldn't work. I e-mailed EVGA and they said to try using another floppy disk. I searched my crawlspace for some old floppies and found a part of an old Snoopy game. Popped the drivers and there and it worked perfectly.
Old August 7, 2008, 05:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

This is a little after the fact, Bill, but I figure I'll just add this little bit. You do have a power plug going into the floppy drive as well, right? If not, the drive will show up as working properly, but the drive will be unable to actually access or read any disks. I did this myself once, and smoked half a day before seeing the light.