Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 16, 2008, 05:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

I prefer Seagate over anything.

And FYI SCSI is pretty much outdated now with SAS being introduced.
Old July 16, 2008, 06:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Just to reaffirm what lowfat said it really does come down to personal experience and preferences. I'll personally hesitate and think LONG and HARD before I buy Seagate HDDs again. I have had to many of the 7200.10

You'Re right when you say it comes down to personal experience and preference. All the HDDs I have replaced to family & friends were WD that died with the endless klick/klonk. I've ALWAYS used MAXTOR drives, and people were complaining about a high failure rate yet I never had any issues, as to Seagate, it seems that ever since they closed the plant and build China and overall QC has gone downhill at Seagate that much I heard, but in my experience I never had issues with the Seagates i'm using - The problem is that companies now cut corners and will use cheaper components that have a higher risk of failing earlier. Hard Drives are very cheap now - I always buy 2 at a time and use the 2nd one as a 1:1 offline backup using Acronis software. The Seagates 7200.10 320GB are defiantely noisier than the old Maxtors Liquid Bearing MOtors I've used, eventhough SEagate claims to use this technology. Common hard drive problems I've seen are controllers failing and power supply related issues followed next by spinloc coordinator problems, motor, etc.
Problem with SMART and their diagnostic tool is that they cannot predict sudden failure (mechanical or controller failure) so it's a gamble. My 320GB Seagate 7200.10 16MB cost me less than $54 from DC when I bought it, so that's pretty damn cheap, I purchase 2 for peace of mind. My best advice to people is to BACKUP 1:1, get a good external enclosure, put in that 2nd HDD and run Seagate's FREE software which is actually the Acronis backup program, make a 1:1 backup - If your 1st disk fails, you can place the 2nd one and boot from it and give you enough time to buy a new HD replacement. OR, you can set them up in RAID, although I don't like the idea of running 2 HDs 24/7.
Old July 17, 2008, 11:46 AM
Allstar
F@H

I think everyone should have a Hitachi Deathstar or two... twenty *shrug* Fixing computer's I've seen all sorts of drives die. I only have WD/Seagate and one oldie maxtor 200gig. I want some of the newer Samsung F1's though. SilentPCReview rated them very quiet + fast too. It's all about the non-audible computers.

Old July 17, 2008, 12:20 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

LOL man I LOVED my 60GB Deathstar! It taught me so much...like....whats that clicking sound mean?...and crap that really does sound like a COW Bell! :)~

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old July 17, 2008, 02:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You know what's fun with removing a defective HD from someone's PC ? What I do when I had to remove a few HDs from relative and friends PC, I took one of those big magnets inside the drive, they are very powerful :D