Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 13, 2008, 04:24 PM
Rookie

Default OS Drive

It's finally time to change my trusty, 3 year old, WD 160GB IDE HDD that i have used for XP and Vista. I'm looking for a drive that will really improve performance and startup time. The Velociraptor is too expensive for me at the moment.

I was thinking of getting an aditional WD 640gb as they are dirt cheap and the performance is very good as shown by reviews. Do you think i'll really see some noticeable improvement over my 160GB IDE drive? Do you recommend any other drive?
Old July 19, 2008, 09:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

you will most likely be very pleased with the performance of todays drives over the older ones. I recently bought a WD 500 gb drive for about $140 because of a drive failure, HDTach says its doing almost 100mb/s, thats 20 mb/s MORE than a 150gb Raptor. While the new drives arnt better than raptors at everything, at least its very affordable performance, and yes, you will most definatly notice a difference.

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0
Old July 20, 2008, 04:30 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriciU View Post
It's finally time to change my trusty, 3 year old, WD 160GB IDE HDD that i have used for XP and Vista. I'm looking for a drive that will really improve performance and startup time. The Velociraptor is too expensive for me at the moment.

I was thinking of getting an aditional WD 640gb as they are dirt cheap and the performance is very good as shown by reviews. Do you think i'll really see some noticeable improvement over my 160GB IDE drive? Do you recommend any other drive?
You'll really see an improvement in installing programs, and even opening folders(not a huge amount), etc....but i don't think you'll notice much improvement in boot-up times...if you do, a lot of the improvement will likely be from a fresh install.