Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Storage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/)
-   -   New Seagate 1.5TB drive (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/8498-new-seagate-1-5tb-drive.html)

ipaine July 10, 2008 06:39 PM

New Seagate 1.5TB drive

Just noticed that Seagate is going to be putting out a 1.5TB drive in August.

You can see it on engadget, here

From the article
Quote:

The jump from 1TB to 1.5TB is the " largest capacity hard drive jump in the more than half-century history of hard drives," according to Seagate
On a side note I quickly figured out that with a drive of that size you lose about 100GB when going from the base10 that the drive manufacturers state use to the base2 that the OS uses. I mean really can't the drive manufacturers just start using base2, I know the flash manufacturers do.

Jmac July 10, 2008 07:13 PM

1.5 Trillion bytes = 1.364 Terabytes ...

death_hawk July 10, 2008 09:14 PM

Try calculating the loss when you're trying to break a 20TB barrier in RAID6...
It's painful to know you're losing more space to "bad math" than most people have in total.

Mars July 10, 2008 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ipaine (Post 68137)
On a side note I quickly figured out that with a drive of that size you lose about 100GB when going from the base10 that the drive manufacturers state use to the base2 that the OS uses. I mean really can't the drive manufacturers just start using base2, I know the flash manufacturers do.

To be fair, they're using they correct definition of "gigabyte", everyone else should be using "gibibyte". ;)

And I don't see the significance of this being the largest jump in HD capacity ever... measuring it by percentage might give some useful information.

lowfat July 10, 2008 10:38 PM

I hope these drives aren't abnormally expensive. I was about to pull the trigger on 3 1TB F1's, but I'd definitely like to see the price on these bad boys first.

ipaine July 10, 2008 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mars (Post 68175)
To be fair, they're using they correct definition of "gigabyte", everyone else should be using "gibibyte". ;)

Yea, I know. :blarg: But it still doesn't make it right. They are designing a product that they know is used for a computer that uses the base2 system. And really I'm not asking them to release drives that aren't round numbers, just make them the base2 gigabyte.

Plus I know that some people blame the OSes for using gigabyte incorrectly but the thing is it was the hard drive manufacturers that decided to use the "proper" base10 gigabyte knowing full well that it would allow them to market drives with larger numbers than they actually provided, at least in the minds of consumers. We both know that it can't be called false advertising because of them using what the standards group has determined as the correct version of gigabyte, even though everyone knows that either way you look at it it is dishonest and just taking advantage of consumers.

And that ends my mini-rant. :angry2:

P.S. All that said, I would still love to have a 1.364TB drive. Hell 4 of them would be awesome. :biggrin:

Cptn Vortex July 11, 2008 01:01 AM

Check these Lowfat... Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1000GB 1TB SATA2 7200RPM 32MB Cache Ncq Hard Drive - DirectCanada

lowfat July 11, 2008 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cptn Vortex (Post 68207)

Those are still using 250GB platters, the F1 is using 340GB platters.