Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 14, 2008, 10:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

From a price for performance view I personally think these are the best out there. Although I've never used a Vraptor myself and I honestly havn't benched a lot of hdd's in my time. But going purely off my graphs above, which wern't the most extensive benches in the world the Black Edition caviers do appear to sit firmly in the top 3 and in most cases top one or two slots as compared to all those hdd's in toms charts. Their read/write has been decent and even though the seek hasn't been something of uber proportions I can say that I would definitely buy another one. for $217.00 I got a 750gb drive that pretty much beats most others except the Vraptors and offers a decent amount of storage. I could be wrong and anyone else can feel free to speak up if I'm mistaken but I don't see any SATAII Samsungs/Seagate/Hitachi competing at this time. I think if you want good performance AND space these drives are definitely worth the investment. I'm actually considering buying another one. Honestly though, NO ONE with any credibility from any site has benched these so unfortunately I only have my own experience to go off of sadly.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old July 14, 2008, 10:29 AM
Rookie

Interesting figures.

I often look at what the people over at storagereview.com show up but they don't have anything, yet.
Old July 14, 2008, 10:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Never been to that site; I'll watch it too. Be nice to see something from people who know!
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old July 14, 2008, 01:29 PM

My System Specs

The WD6400AAKS is a faster hard drive for significantly less. You can buy two of them for the price of one of these drives.
Old July 14, 2008, 01:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

How does that exactly work btw? I've heard of those 640's being fast.. spec wise they look normal as anything. Can you elaborate?
Old July 14, 2008, 02:18 PM
Rookie

Better yet. Post a screenshot from that harddrive(WD6400AAKS) and we'll see some figures.
Old July 14, 2008, 02:20 PM

My System Specs

Western Digital's Caviar SE16 640GB hard drive - The Tech Report - Page 3

The WD6400AAKS has 320GB platters vs the 250GB of previous hard drives. The bigger the platter, the faster the drive.
Old July 14, 2008, 02:28 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Guys....I used a 640 SE16 in my G skill SSD review. Its fast. More than likely faster than the 750 w/ "dual brains". If you want numbers read the review ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old July 14, 2008, 02:31 PM
Rookie

System boot time wasn't impressive. 12 seconds slower than the 750GB disk from WD according to that tech report.
Old July 15, 2008, 08:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Actually I just noticed something... this drive REALLY shines when you're doing more than one thing with it! I was pulling 120gb of data off a 2.5" drive and saving it to my 750 Dual proc, It's currently got about 200gb on it and so I thought "Hmm, lets see what this thing can handle" So I decided to scan it for viruses. No issues whatsoever, not a single slowdown and the AV finished in the exact same amount of time! BTW! I ran AOC off the same drive with no problem while it scanned for virii.

Eh, I dunno if any old drive can do it that easily but I'm still happy hahahaha