Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 9, 2008, 09:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Bastards havn't sent me mine yet, only the 1TB are in, I grabbed the 750! DOH

I'm anxiously waiting too :(

Edit: Should be in next week at the latest.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old July 9, 2008, 07:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...20Digital%20WD

They're in!! mine is shipping air so as SOON as I get mine; I'll bench it and post the results for you guys to discuss. I'm off the next week and a bit so I'll have the time for sure!
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old July 10, 2008, 10:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Shipped. Be here Monday.
Old July 11, 2008, 12:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have no claim that I've done anything correctly by running these benchmarks; just done my best! so if you have suggestions on how I can get you guys the information you need - fire away!

WD Caviar Black 750gb - The only thing I could compare this to was my WD 320gb SE16. Didn't do a write test because it asked me to do it without a partition; this was after I spent all afternoon partitioning it etc hahaha.

This was done on my Q6600 System below.

Discuss:

Old July 11, 2008, 01:46 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

So this thing doesn't perform any better than existing 7200rpm drives. Eh, what a shame for WD. Now I fully agree that the pricetag is laughable because it's so high.
Main: Intel 2600K @ 4.8GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 | 16GB Corsair DDR3-2000 | 2 x 240GB Corsair Force 3 in RAID1 | 2 x 4TB Hitachi 7K4000 | 3 x 2TB WD Caviar Black | Antec 1200 | Seasonic XP-860 Platinum | 2GB GTX 670 | 2 x 27" Asus VE278Q | Asus Essence ST | Win7 Pro 64-bit
Old July 12, 2008, 08:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah I'm not sure what to think. In all honesty by running Age of Conan off this HDD my FPS increases; if I move it to my second 320GB SE16 by cut/paste I lose right away 5-8 fps sometimes more. I didn't expect through the roof performance but I did expect the benchmarks to reflect a little more.
Old July 12, 2008, 11:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

Seriously? You're getting in-game FPS increases from running a different hard-drive? I don't have that game myself, but is there a lot of loading going on while playing? You sure it isn't just a matter of one drive having a bunch of stuff stuffed in the cache from a previous game session?
Old July 13, 2008, 08:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
Seriously? You're getting in-game FPS increases from running a different hard-drive? I don't have that game myself, but is there a lot of loading going on while playing? You sure it isn't just a matter of one drive having a bunch of stuff stuffed in the cache from a previous game session?

The game was originally installed on the 320gb. AoC is not the most efficient game so even on a good system sometimes the FPS can suck. There is a lot of loading going on with AoC; it's an MMO that loads every zone so a good HDD and decent ram really up it's performance. I was having a problem where no matter what I did it wouldn't load distant textures sometimes; I'd run up on a tree and it'd be a bland then a second later it'd texturize properly. This problem was only in AOC.

So I copy/paste the folder over to the new 750 Dual Proc and yes I did get a few more FPS on the high end and about 5 average on the low end; this hdd shouldn't have anything cached for the game as it wasn't ever on this hdd before. But the best part is my textures are now loading fine and I never run up on unloaded textures. This wasn't a new install, merely a copy and paste of the game directory.

Anyways; wall of text I'm sorry. I can't say that it was or wasn't the cache but I am going to be formatting the 320 and reinstalling everything soon so maybe that'll tell me.
Old July 13, 2008, 08:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Also; I went through these charts and to be honest, this drive sits firmly at second place in 90% of the categories. I was hoping though that it's seek time would be under 10ms - maybe i'll run more tests but the HD Tach dosn't run in vista.

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/h...mance,658.html
Old July 14, 2008, 09:55 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
Also; I went through these charts and to be honest, this drive sits firmly at second place in 90% of the categories. I was hoping though that it's seek time would be under 10ms - maybe i'll run more tests but the HD Tach dosn't run in vista.

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/h...mance,658.html
I believe these new harddrives will be a better choice than the VelociRaptors from an economical view but I'm curious about one thing: When I scan my harddrives with anti-spyware agents there is a lot files to be scanned. Would I benefit more from an VelociRaptor(concerning speed) in this case?

It takes 30 hours over here to scan my 2 harddrives using an agent which is called: Ashampoo. So speed is... well... WANTED.