Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 9, 2008, 09:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Bastards havn't sent me mine yet, only the 1TB are in, I grabbed the 750! DOH

I'm anxiously waiting too :(

Edit: Should be in next week at the latest.
Old July 9, 2008, 07:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...20Digital%20WD

They're in!! mine is shipping air so as SOON as I get mine; I'll bench it and post the results for you guys to discuss. I'm off the next week and a bit so I'll have the time for sure!
Old July 10, 2008, 10:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Shipped. Be here Monday.
Old July 11, 2008, 12:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I have no claim that I've done anything correctly by running these benchmarks; just done my best! so if you have suggestions on how I can get you guys the information you need - fire away!

WD Caviar Black 750gb - The only thing I could compare this to was my WD 320gb SE16. Didn't do a write test because it asked me to do it without a partition; this was after I spent all afternoon partitioning it etc hahaha.

This was done on my Q6600 System below.

Discuss:

Old July 11, 2008, 01:46 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

So this thing doesn't perform any better than existing 7200rpm drives. Eh, what a shame for WD. Now I fully agree that the pricetag is laughable because it's so high.
Machine: Intel 6800K | Asus X99-E | 32GB Corsair DDR4-2666 | 500GB Samsung 960 EVO NVMe | 6TB WD Black | 2 x 4TB Hitachi 7K4000 | Corsair 750D | Seasonic XP-860 Platinum | 4GB GTX 970 G1 Windforce | 2 x 27" Samsung S27D390HS PLS | Win10 Pro 64-bit
Old July 12, 2008, 08:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Yeah I'm not sure what to think. In all honesty by running Age of Conan off this HDD my FPS increases; if I move it to my second 320GB SE16 by cut/paste I lose right away 5-8 fps sometimes more. I didn't expect through the roof performance but I did expect the benchmarks to reflect a little more.
Old July 12, 2008, 11:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

Seriously? You're getting in-game FPS increases from running a different hard-drive? I don't have that game myself, but is there a lot of loading going on while playing? You sure it isn't just a matter of one drive having a bunch of stuff stuffed in the cache from a previous game session?
Old July 13, 2008, 08:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
Seriously? You're getting in-game FPS increases from running a different hard-drive? I don't have that game myself, but is there a lot of loading going on while playing? You sure it isn't just a matter of one drive having a bunch of stuff stuffed in the cache from a previous game session?

The game was originally installed on the 320gb. AoC is not the most efficient game so even on a good system sometimes the FPS can suck. There is a lot of loading going on with AoC; it's an MMO that loads every zone so a good HDD and decent ram really up it's performance. I was having a problem where no matter what I did it wouldn't load distant textures sometimes; I'd run up on a tree and it'd be a bland then a second later it'd texturize properly. This problem was only in AOC.

So I copy/paste the folder over to the new 750 Dual Proc and yes I did get a few more FPS on the high end and about 5 average on the low end; this hdd shouldn't have anything cached for the game as it wasn't ever on this hdd before. But the best part is my textures are now loading fine and I never run up on unloaded textures. This wasn't a new install, merely a copy and paste of the game directory.

Anyways; wall of text I'm sorry. I can't say that it was or wasn't the cache but I am going to be formatting the 320 and reinstalling everything soon so maybe that'll tell me.
Old July 13, 2008, 08:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Also; I went through these charts and to be honest, this drive sits firmly at second place in 90% of the categories. I was hoping though that it's seek time would be under 10ms - maybe i'll run more tests but the HD Tach dosn't run in vista.

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/h...mance,658.html
Old July 14, 2008, 09:55 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
Also; I went through these charts and to be honest, this drive sits firmly at second place in 90% of the categories. I was hoping though that it's seek time would be under 10ms - maybe i'll run more tests but the HD Tach dosn't run in vista.

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/h...mance,658.html
I believe these new harddrives will be a better choice than the VelociRaptors from an economical view but I'm curious about one thing: When I scan my harddrives with anti-spyware agents there is a lot files to be scanned. Would I benefit more from an VelociRaptor(concerning speed) in this case?

It takes 30 hours over here to scan my 2 harddrives using an agent which is called: Ashampoo. So speed is... well... WANTED.