Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 25, 2008, 08:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

Yes, please give it some benching. Seems like everyone announced this drive's introduction, and repeated WD's claims, but no one's actually reviewed it yet. Even storagereview.com's forums are silent on this thing, and WD's own page doesn't give many numbers.

Is "Latency" different from "Seek time" with HDD's? I'm not particularly well-versed on performance terminology in the world of HDD. A 4.2ms seek time would be phenomenal, but that's not what it's referring to?
Old June 26, 2008, 09:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah i havn't been able to find anything on it so I decided to take the leap. I won't have a lot to compare it to at the time of benching but I'll provide the numbers I get and we can go from there. no one seems to be talking about it.

I called WD last night and got ahold of someone in CS, all they said was that it's a mimic of RAID0, basically splitting the work through the two processors?? i'm not really sure what that means and he did say he's not too sure of the technology also; he gave me an email of a tech to contact and I'm waiting for an email from him on it..

maybe someone who understands this technology better can give us some light? Either way i'll bench it and see what numbers i come up with! then post em here for you guys to critique
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old June 27, 2008, 08:21 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

The drive is doing things like calculating checksums for the behind-the-scenes error discovery and correction. Having two processors would make these calculations go faster. Considering that will be done in an ASIC I do not see why they need two processors. More processors means more components which means more cost. Just pipeline or parallel it.
Old June 30, 2008, 12:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Should be getting it this week; can you guys suggest any more software I should run tests on this HDD with? Also what kinds of extra information would you like to know other than the typical?
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old June 30, 2008, 01:42 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Well I suppose you should use HD Tune or something.
Main: Intel 2600K @ 4.8GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 | 16GB Corsair DDR3-2000 | 2 x 256GB Samsung 850 Pro | 2 x 4TB Hitachi 7K4000 | 3 x 2TB WD Caviar Black | Antec 1200 | Seasonic XP-860 Platinum | 4GB GTX 970 Windforce | 2 x 27" Asus VE278Q | Asus Essence ST | Win7 Pro 64-bit
Old June 30, 2008, 08:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

or HD tach, just wondering the comparison to v-raptor. Would be fun to see :)

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old June 30, 2008, 08:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've got HD tach, I'll grab the other too and run tests on both. Ugh cannot wait for this thing to show up, there are NO real reviews anywhere online...
Old July 8, 2008, 06:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Got the hard drive yet ? The 1tb is now on special at ncix.com, so I guess they are shipping.

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old July 9, 2008, 08:31 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Come on! Where are these drives? Where are the reviews? I'm waiting to see if these new Black drives are worth it.
Main: Intel 2600K @ 4.8GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 | 16GB Corsair DDR3-2000 | 2 x 256GB Samsung 850 Pro | 2 x 4TB Hitachi 7K4000 | 3 x 2TB WD Caviar Black | Antec 1200 | Seasonic XP-860 Platinum | 4GB GTX 970 Windforce | 2 x 27" Asus VE278Q | Asus Essence ST | Win7 Pro 64-bit
Old July 9, 2008, 09:01 AM
Allstar
F@H

I'd like to see a dual head HDD, the pickup arms/heads mounted 180 degrees apart.
or if they could mechanically manage it, quad arms/heads at 90 degrees, with a quad processor and 10-15K rpm, of course.
Then we could really use the SATA II.
ahhh, I'm still dreaming.....