Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 20, 2008, 12:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default get the most out of my Raptors

I've been trying to put together a PC to take to work with me, I've spent alot of cash on it, and though it is technically working, i really believe im not getting the performance out of the drives i bought.
the rig =
intel C2D Q9450
4 x 1GB Crucial Balistix
2 x 8800 GTS
3 x 150GB WD Raptor Hard drives
tested with HDTACH

i've used an Asus p5k deluxe mobo with the x35 chipset and an Asus Formula 2 with the 780i chipset for raid 0 with the x35 the read speed topped out at 138mb/s and the 780i topped at 145mb/s

I've tried two pci raid cards, both top out at 98 mb/s (i'm assuming the bus is saturated at that point)

i tried a pcix 1x card a local shop loaned me with only two raptors and got 138 mb/s (its only got two sata ports)

i've looked all over the net and cant find any definate answers as to what i should expect with 3 raptor drives

i've tried all controllers with single drives (they all top out at 80ish) and with dual drives
x35 = 110mb/s with 2 drives
780i = 117mb/s with 2 drives
pci cards = 98mb/s with 2 drives
pcix = 138mb/s with 2 drives

as you can see, i'm getting alot of discrepent readings between the various controllers, i've no idea what exactly i should expect between the 3 raptor drives but i really was expecting more than 145

and whats the deal with getting lower numbers on the onboard chipsets with 2 drives vs 3, if the controllers were maxed out i should get the same numbers with 2 as i do with 3... not lower... but with only 2 drives and the pcix raid card i was getting the same speed as 3 with the x35... i'm very confused... the next thing to do is pick up a pcix x4 or 8 sata3 card or a sas card with sata adaptors but i'm loath to spend 400 more to get the performance out of the drives i think i should... i mean for 400 i can buy 3 more raptors.... but i dont have a bus that can run em! gah... please, some insite guys?

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0
Old June 20, 2008, 01:04 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Those numbers are already pretty good for raptors ( I have 2x 36 Raptors in Raid 0, onboard from Crosshair MB). Check out this chart for an idea about single drive performance numbers (haven't found any Raid 0 numbers yet tho, sorry. ill keep looking):

3.5" Hard Drive Charts - Tom's Hardware
Old June 20, 2008, 01:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzetsin View Post
I've been trying to put together a PC to take to work with me, I've spent alot of cash on it, and though it is technically working, i really believe im not getting the performance out of the drives i bought.
the rig =
intel C2D Q9450
4 x 1GB Crucial Balistix
2 x 8800 GTS
3 x 150GB WD Raptor Hard drives
tested with HDTACH

i've used an Asus p5k deluxe mobo with the x35 chipset and an Asus Formula 2 with the 780i chipset for raid 0 with the x35 the read speed topped out at 138mb/s and the 780i topped at 145mb/s

I've tried two pci raid cards, both top out at 98 mb/s (i'm assuming the bus is saturated at that point)

i tried a pcix 1x card a local shop loaned me with only two raptors and got 138 mb/s (its only got two sata ports)

i've looked all over the net and cant find any definate answers as to what i should expect with 3 raptor drives

i've tried all controllers with single drives (they all top out at 80ish) and with dual drives
x35 = 110mb/s with 2 drives
780i = 117mb/s with 2 drives
pci cards = 98mb/s with 2 drives
pcix = 138mb/s with 2 drives

as you can see, i'm getting alot of discrepent readings between the various controllers, i've no idea what exactly i should expect between the 3 raptor drives but i really was expecting more than 145

and whats the deal with getting lower numbers on the onboard chipsets with 2 drives vs 3, if the controllers were maxed out i should get the same numbers with 2 as i do with 3... not lower... but with only 2 drives and the pcix raid card i was getting the same speed as 3 with the x35... i'm very confused... the next thing to do is pick up a pcix x4 or 8 sata3 card or a sas card with sata adaptors but i'm loath to spend 400 more to get the performance out of the drives i think i should... i mean for 400 i can buy 3 more raptors.... but i dont have a bus that can run em! gah... please, some insite guys?
They are raptors.. for everyday use your not gonna get break neck speeds or that great of performance.

Raptors will really shine when your dealing with large file transfers or a prologned period.
Old June 20, 2008, 01:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

those numbers might seem pretty good at first glance, if you can compare them to average single drive settups, but i really believe they are underperforming as a unit, and i think its the drive controllers that are at fault after seen the huge differences in numbers between them all

vista 64 on these rigs
Old June 20, 2008, 01:26 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

It's important to remember that a Raid 0 setup with two hard drives won't perform twice as fast one of the same hard drives by itself. Best increase I've seen in peformance for Raid 0 drive svs. a single drive is about 30-40%. In your case: According to Tom's, a single 74g Raptor will get a max read transfer around 85mbps, whereas you're getting an average speed of 115mbps over two of them in Raid 0 = about 35% boost in speeds. Not bad at all I'd say.
Old June 20, 2008, 01:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

sustained read speeds are what i'm testing for, and what i want to use them for, i believe they are not performing to what they're capable of, telling me to just be happy with what i've got isnt helping the problem. think like this... if you bought a ferrari and only got the performance of a mustang would you be content when everyone told you to just be happy its not the average performance of a sub compact like everyone elses?

vista 64 on these rigs
Old June 20, 2008, 01:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
t's important to remember that a Raid 0 setup with two hard drives won't perform twice as fast one of the same hard drives by itself. Best increase I've seen in peformance for Raid 0 drive svs. a single drive is about 30-40%. In your case: According to Tom's, a single 74g Raptor will get a max read transfer around 85mbps, whereas you're getting an average speed of 115mbps over two of them in Raid 0 = about 35% boost in speeds. Not bad at all I'd say.
i would agree with that if i didnt see 2 drives run at 135

vista 64 on these rigs
Old June 20, 2008, 01:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzetsin View Post
sustained read speeds are what i'm testing for, and what i want to use them for, i believe they are not performing to what they're capable of, telling me to just be happy with what i've got isnt helping the problem. think like this... if you bought a ferrari and only got the performance of a mustang would you be content when everyone told you to just be happy its not the average performance of a sub compact like everyone elses?
The problem is raptors are so overhyped that when they fall short of peoples expectations they aren't happy.

Do a HD Tune or HD Tach and show us the screenshots and we can make more sense of it.
Old June 20, 2008, 01:43 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

36g, 74g and 150g raptors are all Sata-150, not Sata-300. If you're really looking for "Ferrari" performance get Sata-300 drives (Like the Velociraptors).
Old June 20, 2008, 01:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

i cant do screenshots at the moment, i'm at work for a few days, i've got a few shots on my phone but i dont have the cable to hook it to the computer ;P first time ever that i didnt bring it...
i'll show you what this pic shows me though (with hd tach and two raptors with the pcix card), i only got 130 max when i got this shot though
130.................*............................. .........*........................................ ..*..........................................*.... ...........................................*...... .................................................. ....................................
...................*........*..................... ......*..........*..............................*. ..........*.............................*......... ..*..................................*............ .*................................................ ......................................
...............*.................*................ .*....................*....................*...... ...............*...................*.............. .........*.....................*.................. ........*.........................*........*...... ........................................
...........*..........................*.......*... ...........................*..........*........... .....................*........*................... .............*............*....................... ................*............*...................* ........................................
120..*.................................*.......... ..............................*................... .......................*.......................... ..................*............................... .......................*.......................... ......*...............................
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ....................*...............
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........................*.........
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..............................*.....

vista 64 on these rigs