Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 1, 2008, 10:26 AM
Top Prospect

Default Post your external drive enclosure transfer speeds.

The other day I had a customer asking if there was a difference in transfer speeds between external enclosures using the eSATA or USB interfaces. I told them that eSATA is, of course, the fastest interface for external enclosures and that if there was a speed difference from enclosure to enclosure it would be negligible at best. But I'm not entirely convinced that that is the case, I then bought one of our generic Chronos USB and eSATA enclosures (great price after staff discount) and threw a 250GB Seagate hard drive in it.

My plan is to get everyone to do a few quick transfer tests on their external enclosures USB, eSATA or both, to see if there is any real difference between dives (ie. no name brand like mine vs others).
Thanks in advance for any contributions!

Here are my results:

1.8GB of Pictures Transferred Back and Forth to the Root dir on each drive.
Each Test is run 3 times.

eSATA

Upload: 26.9s, 26.9s, 28.1s
Download: 26.5s, 26.9s, 26.3s

Up Avg: 27.3s
Down Avg: 26.56s

USB

Up: 70.8s, 69.6s, 70.2s
Down: 59.6s, 58.2s, 59.2s.

Up Avg: 70.2s
Down Avg: 59s

HD Tune Results:
Attached Images

Old June 28, 2008, 07:57 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Here's a test I did when I first bought got my WD6400AAKS a couple of weeks ago.
It's in an Antec Veris MX-1 actively cooled enclosure and connected via eSATA on my Asus Maximus Formula.
eSATA destroys USB, that's why both of my PCs have eSATA, even though one of them is so old that it doesn't even have native SATA.