Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 29, 2017, 07:46 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Crucial BX300 480GB SSD Review Comment Thread

After the BX200 took the budget SSD market by storm, the performance expectations for the follow up BX300 are sky high. But can it compete in a cluttered market?

Read More Here:
Crucial BX300 480GB SSD Review
Old August 30, 2017, 03:20 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Seems like a great drive, but as you said, the naming is a bit confusing when price is taken into account. We will have to see how pricing stabilises after they are on the market.
Old August 30, 2017, 05:17 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Happy to see another good Crucial drive, and at that price. I have been so very pleased with the Crucials I have. As stated, will be interesting to see how they rev the MX line based on this.
Old August 30, 2017, 08:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So just like the conclusion I guess the MX400 series is just around the corner? With that long promised 2X NVME controller?
Old August 30, 2017, 09:07 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Not looking at anything less than 1TB these days. What gives with how long it's taking for high capacity drives to become mainstream?
Old August 30, 2017, 10:35 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleurious View Post
Not looking at anything less than 1TB these days. What gives with how long it's taking for high capacity drives to become mainstream?
I am by no means an expert, but I have my own educated guess as to why.

While us (i.e. enthusiasts) love large capacity SSD's, we are by no means a representative to the 'average' SSD consumer and or OEM.
As a result, costs for the average consumer are prohibitive on large capacity SSD's.
Thus companies whom manufacturer these goods are going to focus most of their efforts into the volume products.

I see many solutions out there in the OEM and builder world that are at most Hybrids (SSD + HDD) or low-mid capacity SSD (Like the XPS or other Ultrabooks).
The sweet spot in the market (IMO) is 250-500GB (rounded up or down as desired). It will take more time, cheaper NAND and higher manufacturer run rates before we start seeing some true Mainstream cost effective 1TB capacity and higher drives.

If history is anything to go by, in time we will see higher capacities at lower prices.

As for the Review, it is nice to see a successor to the Older BX series take shape. Crucial has always seemed to have solid offerings and this one is no different.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old August 30, 2017, 11:22 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
So just like the conclusion I guess the MX400 series is just around the corner? With that long promised 2X NVME controller?
Smart money is on a MX refresh sooner rather than later. Whether or not it is NVMe remains to be seen. Crucial did cancel the Ballistix TX3 NVMe drive series recently. Rumors range from it not meeting specs to build price / budget overruns to Crucial deciding to move away from SMI based designs... as SMI has started to fall further and further behind the curve. This could point towards a NVMe MX but Crucial are conservative so it could be that the 'TX' series has been delayed while they redesign their new TX series while MX stays SATA for another gen or two.

My guess is if the MX is SATA it still will be Marvell based (unless they really decide to shake things up and go with PHISION who are making some potent controllers these days). If its NVMe its 50/50 on it being Marvell (probably 1140 or 1160) or PHISION (probably the 5008 aka 'E8' controller).

Time will tell. Either way Crucial has indeed released a very interesting BX series... one that people will be talking about for a while.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 30, 2017, 09:10 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
While us (i.e. enthusiasts) love large capacity SSD's, we are by no means a representative to the 'average' SSD consumer and or OEM....
I don't disagree, but... gamers and enthusiasts aren't necessarily one and the same. According to Steam's hardware survey, total HDD space:

250-499 GB: 24.07%
750-999 GB: 23.80%
Above 1 TB: 35.73%

I only skimmed the review's first page and conclusion (as the size is too small to replace my 600GB Raptor drive), but this might have been the drive I am looking for. There is a market for a decent, budget 750 to 1000GB SSD. A single ~500GB drive in a gaming system becomes more problematic as game sizes continue to increase.
Old August 31, 2017, 10:46 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly007 View Post
I don't disagree, but... gamers and enthusiasts aren't necessarily one and the same. According to Steam's hardware survey, total HDD space:

250-499 GB: 24.07%
750-999 GB: 23.80%
Above 1 TB: 35.73%

I only skimmed the review's first page and conclusion (as the size is too small to replace my 600GB Raptor drive), but this might have been the drive I am looking for. There is a market for a decent, budget 750 to 1000GB SSD. A single ~500GB drive in a gaming system becomes more problematic as game sizes continue to increase.
It wasn't intentional for me to make it sound like they were one and the same.

I am not saying that people don't need storage, I am talking more on the SSD side and costs for the higher capacity drives.
A good portion of even Gaming and Enthusiast Laptops for Example will come Hybrid (128-256GB SSD Boot, and 1TB Mechancial), even my AW 17 R4 came that way. So if I took the Steam Survey it would show me in the 35% range, but in actuality I only have 256GB dedicated to SSD.
Which reinforces the point really that the range I stated above is still the sweet spot, mainstream, for that size of SSD.

When it becomes cheap enough over time that 1TB drives are in the right price range that they move high enough volumes, then it will be mainstream, and we'll start the cycle all over again with 2TB 4TB etc SSD's.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old August 31, 2017, 11:41 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I think BX will be SATA, MX will be NVMe.
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB + Samsung 850 Pro 512GB + HGST 5400RPM 2TB
Evga GTX 1080 FTW 8GB + BenQ BL3201PH 4K 32"