Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 19, 2017, 05:30 AM
Trial Member

Default How do I kill my HDD for warranty? ( Read first)

Before you burn me on stake, read first.

I bought a WD 1 tb blue hdd a few months ago, for the first month it worked well, but then it slowed down( It's not viruses, I only download things from legit sites), I used HDD benchmark tools to test the speeds, it wasn't as fast as it should be, when I transfer files, sometimes it even goes into the kilobyte speed, rather than like 60 mb/s.

Now, why did I wait months before I asked this? I used my Linda membership account to download literally 400 gb of video for my PERSONAL use on a 15 down speed, I had to press download on each individual video, it took me a few days of only doing that. I have now finished learning the things I need from Linda, and I can finally do this.

I think doing something physically to it can get me "caught", I heard something about some low level benchmarks, like doing it for hours upon hours until it just dies. What do you suggest?
Old August 19, 2017, 07:21 AM
F@H

My System Specs

How would this solve your problem? You'd just get another WD Blue.

If there's something wrong with the drive (i.e. It's not some other issue) then it'll be replaced under warranty.

"Killing" the drive doesn't do anything to benefit you
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old August 19, 2017, 07:36 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I agree with Sagath. Not sure what you would gain from trying to destroy the drive. Contact WD first, they are a reputable brand, and see if they can help you out. It is of course possible that the slowdown is being caused by something else in your system too. But going the damage route could end up getting you nothing in the end.
Old August 19, 2017, 08:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Can you share a graph made by HD Tune?
Old August 19, 2017, 10:42 PM
MVP

Agree with the others. If you think it has a problem, RMA it. There is no need to cause a hard fault.

Just make sure it's not something else causing the problem first. (Maybe you already have)

Edit: If you're concerned about the data on the disk, there is a sticky thread in the Buy/Sell & Trade forum that has lots of suggestions for that.

Last edited by Valkyrie; August 19, 2017 at 11:25 PM.
Old August 20, 2017, 04:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Agreed... If the issue with speed is a problem with the HDD, then just go ahead and open a ticket with WD now for RMA. There's no need to kill the drive in order to make that happen.
Old August 24, 2017, 07:32 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

And we wonder why it is getting harder and harder to get real warranty work done.