Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 3, 2017, 09:21 PM
Quadfather

Default Raid migration and expansion

It's time to move my perc 6i Raid 6 out of my file server and into Behemoth (yes I've still got it).

Questions:
- I haven't moved a raid in ages, but i *think* it should be okay. Does anyone have suggestions? My thoughts are that if all the disks return to their same ports it should be okay. Right?
- I'm also going to need to expand the raid... And I REALLY can't recall the last time I expanded one... Is it still as simple as adding drives to the array and letting it rebuild?
Note: I do have an emergency recovery drive to use, in case I have to start from scratch.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks all!
Old August 4, 2017, 08:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

1) I don't think it is even necessary to put the drives on the same ports
2) expanding a matrix should be as simple as adding a new drive, and just expand the matrix through the option in the console.
Old August 5, 2017, 12:33 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

As I understand it, the raid controller stores the array data, drive identifier, etc., on the drives themselves. So as long as you are not switching raid controllers, it should be fine and doesn't care which port each disk is on.

I just swapped a raid 1 array (Intel RST) out of a dead Dell and into a new PC yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised that even though it was a totally new system (i7 2700 to an i5 7600k) and the drives were on different ports, it immediately recognized that it was a raid array and I did not have to do a thing. It recognized this before I even installed any drivers on the system. Exactly the same thing last time I swapped a megaraid card and drives to a server PC.

Been a while since I had a PERC card, but you used to be able to use Open Manage Server Administrator software and add a new drive while the system is online. Degraded performance while it rebuilds obviously.