Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 2, 2017, 05:27 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Other options for new HDD

I'm going to be adding a new HDD, likely 8 or 10 TB, to my system in the not too distant future and have had a hard time deciding what model to get. Main usage will be Plex and 24/7 torrenting; with maybe the odd game, like CSGO or World of Warships, where using a SSD just translates into a longer wait for the match to begin.

Quietness/reliability, followed by performance, rather than cost, are the main criteria. (Based on published specs) WD Golds and Red Pros, other than the new 10TB model, would appear too loud. The new 10TB models have a hell of a price premium at the moment (assuming one can even find them in stock), which leaves the 8TB WD Red as the most logical choice.

Anybody have any other suggestions? Given my intended usage, is a Red Pro drive really warranted?
Old July 2, 2017, 07:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I wouldn't entrust that much data to a single HDD. A raid formation seems more appropriate for that amount of data you want to foster. For sure getting 3 x 4TB drives would be 50% than a single 8 TB drive, but if one 8TB drive goes sour you loose all the data. If one 4TB drive out of 3 goes sour, you just replace it and keep all the data intact. I would also recommend 5900/5400 RPM drives.
Old July 3, 2017, 11:03 AM
Rookie

If you want WD Red's. I have been getting the My Book Duo 16TB from B&H lately. You get 2 WD Red and I just use the bare drives in my unRaid. Save a bit this way.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._book_duo.html
Old July 4, 2017, 02:10 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
I wouldn't entrust that much data to a single HDD. A raid formation seems more appropriate for that amount of data you want to foster. For sure getting 3 x 4TB drives would be 50% than a single 8 TB drive, but if one 8TB drive goes sour you loose all the data. If one 4TB drive out of 3 goes sour, you just replace it and keep all the data intact. I would also recommend 5900/5400 RPM drives.
I am not that worried about data loss, a fair bit of what will be going on it was burned to DVD-Rs over the past decade. (I am finally getting ready to ditch my DVD drive). Everything else can, presumably, be re-downloaded.

As for RAID, I already have one 4TB WD RED drive. I'd only need to buy two drives right away. But this route would mean giving up more SATA ports-limiting future expansion, unless I bought a PCIe SATA card-and my U.2.2 port. The latter is probably not that big a deal.

Hmmmmmmm....