Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 19, 2017, 01:45 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippman View Post
These files are in no way compressed or re-encoded.
If one wanted to reduce DVD file sizes slightly, what's the best option these days?
Old April 19, 2017, 05:46 PM
Rookie

Quote:
These files are in no way compressed or re-encoded. My nVidia Shield TV boxes can pass through the uncompressed audio to my AVR's (Audio/Video Receivers) which play back the audio as if it was coming directly from a BluRay player. These average out to about 30GB per BluRay and 5GB per DVD.
I'll be surprised if your NAS can transcode &/or even play your videos. How many hours does it takes you for you to convert a single Bluray?
Old April 20, 2017, 07:48 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralphort View Post
I'll be surprised if your NAS can transcode &/or even play your videos. How many hours does it takes you for you to convert a single Bluray?
Hours? You mean to rip it? Less than 20 min per disc. It's basically taking the raw data in it's native format (MPG4 I believe) and putting it into a MKV container. There's no conversion necessary. I rip these using my desktop. I'm limited only by the drives speed at ripping the data. I use the NAS for what a NAS is for: storing, sorting, and backing up data. I'm not trying to make it be an on-the-fly transcoder.

I find on-the-fly transcoding to be unreliable at best. I've tried using dedicated machines, using special software, everything you can think of. It got to the point where the horsepower requirements were outstripping the cost of buying dedicated playback machines. That's when I ditched my WD TV Lives for the nVidia Shield TV.

The Shield TV is a vastly overlooked piece of kit. I use it to run my emulators, run my KODI front end for playing back my movies off the NAS, all my streaming services, etc. They just work. Period. No screwing with transcoding, no re-encoding to X Y or Z format to support whatever the heck DLNA wants these days, nada. With the controllers nVidia has made and the small footprint they're better than any dedicated HTPC I could probably build, esp for their cost.
Old April 26, 2017, 08:14 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Can someone explain what the advantage of running one of these home NAS solutions is instead of running a proper filerserver with hardware or software RAID? I hear so many hardware enthusiasts complain about pushing the boundaries on consumer products. Just bite the bullet and get used enterprise hardware that is one or two generations old and much more suited to the task.
Old April 26, 2017, 10:18 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
The Shield TV is a vastly overlooked piece of kit. I use it to run my emulators, run my KODI front end for playing back my movies off the NAS, all my streaming services, etc. They just work. Period. No screwing with transcoding, no re-encoding to X Y or Z format to support whatever the heck DLNA wants these days, nada. With the controllers nVidia has made and the small footprint they're better than any dedicated HTPC I could probably build, esp for their cost.
Oh my god yes. I keep telling everyone I know this when they ask about android TV boxes, or htpcs, or smart tv's, or apple tv's...

The fact that casting video games, or streaming them from nVidia directly is a secondary consideration in the conversation is just icing on the cake. It is literally the best enthusiast HT device on the market, and it is several years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by attonbitusira View Post
Can someone explain what the advantage of running one of these home NAS solutions is instead of running a proper filerserver with hardware or software RAID? I hear so many hardware enthusiasts complain about pushing the boundaries on consumer products. Just bite the bullet and get used enterprise hardware that is one or two generations old and much more suited to the task.
There is a plethora of reasons why lots of us own OTS consumer NAS devices vice enterprise. For example; not having to worry about OS issues (I'm not a linux guy), or warranty, or perhaps not browsing kijiji/ebay for weeks, etc.

Some people here have built or are using old PC's, or old enterprise hardware to do what you suggest. For me, it was extremely cheap ($400) for the box, and comes plug-and-play ready. Too easy.
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about