Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 1, 2017, 07:58 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Are the refurbished ones really that bad? One negative I noticed is that the warranty is suddenly horrible.... let me point out an example. IIRC, on newegg, a refurbished Corsair Neutron XT 480GB 2.5" is $150 but with only a 1-year warranty. Are these SSDs that were found to be defective by the buyer/customer, returned (via normal 5-year warranty in this case) and then the manufacturer (in this case, Corsair) repaired it and is re-selling the item?

This refurbished drive is almost $100 cheaper than the same drive being sold. But, the warranty is only 1-year on it.

I think I wouldn't take a chance but what is the rational of the company? Some buyers will want to save money and buy it and disregard the short warranty?
Old April 1, 2017, 07:05 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Refurbs are drives that were returned for RMA for one reason or another. Usually its a bad die, or a bad connector, or controller that they fix and then re-sell it. The question was that the ONLY problem with the drive? That is when things go sideways... as the drive was a "monday morning" or "friday afternoon" build. I personally avoid refurbs as that is the chance you are taking... but IF its a good one its a steal. IE Its just a lottery.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr