Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 8, 2017, 09:18 PM
Trial Member

Default Hard disk is not working

My external hard disk is not working now. I have some important files in it. It is a 250GB Transcend hard disk. I think there are some issues with the MBR. What is the procedure to restore the MBR? Can we do this with Windows OS? If it is unable to correct this issue, I will have to consult some professional services to recover the data. Here I found one some details regarding this Endpoint Backup and Sync (Online Backup for Windows, Mac, Linux). But I don't know whether they do the recovery from a broken hard drive. If somebody knows some company providing data recovery from a broken hard drive, please share their details. Thank you.
Old March 9, 2017, 05:27 AM
Hall Of Fame

is the drive spinning up when boots

how is connected to system

do you know what brand is the actual drive? may have to open drive case, once known then go to it's manufactory and get their diagnostic software

also if can remove drive from its case, can try on a motherboard direct

notice: you said corrupt MBR, usually that is from SYSTEM shutting down and power was lost on drive before OS can write to disk result corrupt MBR
Old March 10, 2017, 02:20 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

KaptCrunch has a pretty good outline here, but I might add a bit. You left out a lot of critical information. Primarily: what do you mean by isn't working? Is it making noise, or is it a brick? Can you see it listed in your drives, and just not access the files? If you unplug it and plug it back in, does the computer acknowledge it in some way?

If there's any kind of activity, you can go into Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer Management->Storage->Disk Management If it shows up there, you can at least assign it a drive letter, open the CMD prompt, and run chkdsk on the drive letter.

If your computer doesn't seem to be acknowledging the drive at all, open up the external drive case, pull out the drive and put it into the computer. This will at least allow you to determine whether its the drive or the external hardware that's the problem.

Report back.