Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 6, 2017, 06:41 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Need some feedback for a new HDD

Ok gang. I have a Samsung 256 gig 850 Pro. Many used for the OS. And I have a 1 TB WD Black HDD. That has my programs and games on it. I am finding that I am running out of room. Since now games can be 50 gigs and up to install. I want to replace the WD 1 tb with at least a 2 TB HDD. Is WD Black drives still good. Or is there any other recommendations? As well. How would clone the old drive to the new drive.

Thanks
Old February 7, 2017, 02:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would go with a Seagate NAS drive with Rescue Plan, warranty is good but Rescue plan is even better!
Old February 8, 2017, 06:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Any modern 7200RPM drive will be good for loading games. The WD Black is just one of your choices.

Try to make sure you get one of the newer generation drives which use 1 TB platters or more, because you get better sequential speeds from those drives. There's been several Western Digital Black and Seagate 7200RPM drives released at 2TB, and if you get an older one, it won't be much faster than your current drive. WD and Seagate have been renaming their drives lately, so the best way to see if you're getting a newer model drive is to check that the model number matches one on their web site's marketing material.
I can't recommend a 5400 or 5900 RPM drive for games and apps, because you are going to "feel" the slow random access times despite the sequential access being almost as fast these days.

As for copying the data over, if it's just games you can boot up in safe mode, copy the files, and swap the drive letters. (Most apps won't care if D:\Program Files was moved over to another drive.) If you have apps that even have their hooks on in safe mode (e.g. antivirus) running from the hard drive, then you'll need to use the clone feature of Macrium Reflect Free or or WD / Seagate's Acronis TrueImage.
Old March 12, 2017, 10:01 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern88 View Post
Ok gang. I have a Samsung 256 gig 850 Pro. Many used for the OS. And I have a 1 TB WD Black HDD. That has my programs and games on it. I am finding that I am running out of room. Since now games can be 50 gigs and up to install. I want to replace the WD 1 tb with at least a 2 TB HDD. Is WD Black drives still good. Or is there any other recommendations? As well. How would clone the old drive to the new drive.

Thanks
Stay with a Black Edition, I have had a WD Black Edition for several years now and it still works fast and smooth without any clicking sounds.
Old March 12, 2017, 02:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

For a desktop I would still strongly consider the wd black.