Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 22, 2008, 10:28 AM
Rookie

Default Need opinions on this RAID enclosure.

I cannot find any reviews for this product:

TaoTec Ultimate II 3500 3.5" x2 RAID

PC CYBER CANADA - For All Your Computer Needs

Should I trust my redundant backup solution to this?

Thanks

Last edited by Junior_1967; May 22, 2008 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Adding link....
Old May 22, 2008, 01:09 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

What is your plan? Plug this thing in once a day and copy all your stuff to it?

RAID 1 on the backup is overkill IMHO unless what you want to back up is woth a zillion dollars.

For the stuff that is worth a zillion dollars, like you wedding pics or your tax documents, them make monthy DVDs encrypted with TrueCrypt and mail them to a convenient friend or family member.
Old May 22, 2008, 01:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

$57 for a raid enclosure... I wouldn't trust it.
Old May 22, 2008, 01:17 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

RAID 1 is never overkill. Even "useless" stuff that you can redownload still takes time to do (and I don't know about you but my free time is precious). Personally, RAID 1 on site backup, with DVDs off site (in a bank vault for example) is a good balance of ease of use and protection. Though w/ DVDs make two copies and use good media like TY or Verbatium. And reburn them every year or so. As for that enclosure...I'd spend a few bucks more and get a better one.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 22, 2008, 02:03 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

If you have all your files on your comp and a copy on your backup drive you already have a manual kind of RAID 1. If you have RAID 1 on your backup drive then you have RAID 1 1 (or something ) and I would say that is overkill. The chances of all this equipment getting destroyed at the same time are very small. Of course fire, flood, or theft could easily cause this but then it is not the equipment but the backup system that has failed you.

The only time I would suggest RAID 1 for the backup target would be if you had a backup that saves history. I'm not even sure what you would call this in backup lingo but something that would keep everything going back, for example, a month so you could get old versions or deleted files. If the OP wants to use this as a TimeMachine target then RAID 1 might be worth the money.

If really want to be protected the better solution would be to have two separate enclosures and take one to work or the bank or some other safe off site storage location.

Maybe the OP wants to use it in Raid 0 and get the largest amount of storage per dollar.

@OP, I am sorry for all the OT here. I just want to say that having something with "RAID" in it is not a magic bullet for backup solutions just in case that is where you were going.

The fact there are no reviews is a huge "do not go here" sign for me. If the product is so niche or so new that there are no reviews then it has not been well trialled by the thousand monkeys.
Old May 22, 2008, 04:53 PM
Rookie

Hi All,

Thank you very much for the input.
I'll wait for the monkeys to trial the product.
I just wanted to mirror two 500g WD drives as a redundant data repository. (Docs/Family Pics etc...)
Of course, I'm planning on burning DVDs once-in-a-while to secure everything.
I had this setup on an old PC with a RAID card.. but the card (Highpoint) is a POS and required re-building the array every freaking week!
I also had data corruption with it, hence my looking at other solutions....

Cheers,
Old May 22, 2008, 06:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You could also buy a blueray burner and burn BD 50 GB disks.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old May 26, 2008, 09:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Just install 2 drives in your computer and mirror them. If your interested here are the raid solutions i am currently using on my network. however they are significantly more expensive than a 56 dollar enclosure.

NAS 1 - Intel SS4000E - 250GB x4 in RAID 5
NAS 2 - Computer with a crap load of storage
- 4x 750GB Drive on HiPoint Rocket Raid Controller
- 3x 320GB
- 1x 200GB
- 1x 36GB Raptor

basically i use acronis true image 11 home and make a data backup to the raid 5 nas once a week as an incremental and once a month make a full backup and bur it to rewritable dvd's.

The stuff on NAS 2 is mostly digital content i own and want to stream on my network.

Keep in mind that the intel box is quite nice little unit but it is not very fast. Maxes out at 8MB/s.

Something else you may want to consider is the Drobo. A guy at my work got one and is loving it. Plugs into your USB port. But basically when it comes to raid you get what you pay for.