Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 24, 2016, 06:07 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Toshiba OCZ RD400 NVMe M.2 / PCI-E SSD Review Comment Thread

Toshiba and OCZ's new RD400 is an evolution of the classic RevoDrive series into the M.2 form factor and at a lower price. However, despite a small stature it still delivers insane performance.

Read more here: Toshiba OCZ RD400 NVMe M.2 / PCI-E SSD Review
Old May 24, 2016, 06:36 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thanks for the review. It's likely I will be picking up the 1TB iteration of this.

Old May 24, 2016, 07:18 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

We added it to the comparison table but we do not have one on-hand to test.
Old May 24, 2016, 07:51 AM
Trial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyea View Post
You have the 950 pro in the comparison table, but it is not included in the benchmarks. Kind of silly since it's one of the main competitors in the market.
I thought the EXACT same thing. 950 Pro is the only real comparable and it's not even in any benchmarks. What a useless review.
Old May 24, 2016, 08:47 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klepper View Post
I thought the EXACT same thing. 950 Pro is the only real comparable and it's not even in any benchmarks. What a useless review.
The 950 Pro is a good series. But it is not the only competitor. Its arguably not even the biggest or most important. Samsung still have their head firmly planted in an unmentionable place when it comes to this pesky thing called "customer service". They have made claims in the past which have proven to be incorrect, so while they make good kit they are not in our charts and probably will not be for the foreseeable future. IMHO even mentioning them is doing a disservice to our readers. The less said about them the better.... until they catch up with the rest of the industry.

Their are two classes of devices the RD400 is directly competing against. The first is NVMe based devices. Due to so few models available for consumers to choose from it is arguable that the biggest competitor is the Intel 750 not the Sam 950 Pro. This is group A of the competitors.

The second group is AIC (Add In Card... aka PCIe cards) form-factored based models. The standard does not really matter as much as only the end result does. Once again this includes the Intel 750, but also includes everything from G.Skill to older OCZ drives due to lack of NVMe based options (for the time being).

These are the two big groups that the RD400 will have to 'fight' for consumers hard earned dollar.

However with that being said, and IMHO, as this is a RevoDrive - and not say a VT - model its biggest competition... is the older model it is superseding. Not including a good example of the older RevoDrives would have made the review worthless... not Samsung. I will let consumers thinking about upgrading their existing AIC to this model draw their own conclusion as there are too many variables to make a sweeping statement one way or the other.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; May 24, 2016 at 11:44 AM.
Old May 24, 2016, 09:02 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Thank you for your in-depth and insightful response. I can tell you spent a lot of time thinking it through so as to help us provide better reviews for our readers. Seriously, I bet you thought long and hard about it to come up with 'me too!'. So once again thank you for your (almost assuredly) exhaustive effort in helping us make our reviews better.

Now as to the concern that you are referring to. The 950 Pro is a good series. But it is not the only competitor. Its arguably not even the biggest or most important. Samsung still have their head firmly planted in an unmentionable place when it comes to this pesky thing called "customer service". They have made claims in the past which have proven to be incorrect, so while they make good kit they are not in our charts and probably will not be for the foreseeable future. IMHO even mentioning them is doing a disservice to our readers. The less said about them the better.... until they catch up with the rest of the industry.

Their are two classes of devices the RD400 is directly competing against. The first is NVMe based devices. Due to so few models available for consumers to choose from it is arguable that the biggest competitor is the Intel 750 not the Sam 950 Pro. This is group A of the competitors.

The second group is AIC (Add In Card... aka PCIe cards) form-factored based models. The standard does not really matter as much as only the end result does. Once again this includes the Intel 750, but also includes everything from G.Skill to older OCZ drives due to lack of NVMe based options (for the time being).

These are the two big groups that the RD400 will have to 'fight' for consumers hard earned dollar.

However with that being said, and IMHO, as this is a RevoDrive - and not say a VT - model its biggest competition... is the older model it is superseding. Not including a good example of the older RevoDrives would have made the review worthless... not Samsung. I will let consumers thinking about upgrading their existing AIC to this model draw their own conclusion as there are too many variables to make a sweeping statement one way or the other.
While I understand not being able to get your hands on every piece of hardware... saying samsung is behind doesn't seem true... as the benchmarks I have seen its either on par or bests the Toshiba so it seems to be a fair competitor to pit against. Unless I'm missing a key element?
Old May 24, 2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokester View Post
While I understand not being able to get your hands on every piece of hardware... saying samsung is behind doesn't seem true... as the benchmarks I have seen its either on par or bests the Toshiba so it seems to be a fair competitor to pit against. Unless I'm missing a key element?
Yes. Re-read my answer. Customer Service is IMHO a key area. Arguably more important shear performance... as there comes a point when the avg home user will not notice the difference. Honestly, once again IMHO, it is what separates companies that take consumers seriously and those who are pulling a 'me too' just so as to have a brand to showcase every type of NAND 'you' make.

Compare and contrast how some customers are treated with say Crucial (Micron) or Intel (IMFT) vs Samsung to see the difference in philosophy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyea View Post
Honestly. You are a reviewer, reviewing an SSD drive. While his comment wasn't entirely thought provoking, you should not take it personally. If you don't want people to comment on your reviews then maybe you shouldn't post them in the forum.

Now, whatever your opinion is in regards to Samsung's customer service your reply is not something I would expect from a reliable reviewer. OCZ probably has the worst track record of them all and here you are reviewing their latest device, albeit in partnership with Toshiba.

Samsung has some of the best performing SSD drives on the market. They are also hugely popular and as such I would recommend that you include them in your reviews if you want to add substance to them.
I did not take it personally, nor should you take what I say personally. I replied with more thought and effort than the questioner. I thanked him/her and then gave an indepth answer. If you decide that there is some hidden malice in my words... that is your problem not mine.

Now as to your points.

1) Samsung treats Canadian customers like ****. So no, they will not be in our charts. I rather abstain and give no information than give information that can be taken out of context and become bad information. There are plenty of other sites that just want page hits, HWC prides itself on doing more than just worrying about page hits.

2) The OCZ you are referring to... no longer exists. It hasnt for quite some time now. Toshiba bought them, cleaned house and implemented a radical change. The largest is the customer service they offer. In this case its a five year hassle free warranty... that is one of the best, most painless RMA experiences you can find. Its why this drive is a TOSHIBA ocz RD400... and not an OCZ toshiba RD400 model.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; May 24, 2016 at 09:22 AM.
Old May 24, 2016, 11:39 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I have a few Samsung SSDs but I would not consider another until they sort out CS for Canada - I know that I am gambling and will eventually lose if I continue down this path. :). As of now, they have added 950's to the site but the warranty section still makes no mention of SSD products. As Toshiba OWNS OCZ (it was an acquisition, not a partnership) and their RMA depot remains in Markham, my choice is clear. :)

Old May 24, 2016, 12:46 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Samsung treats Canadian customers like ****. So no, they will not be in our charts....
Nor should they be! I started researching storage upgrades, SSD and HDD(s), this weekend and am not even looking at Samsung products... sure does simplify things!

Just out of curiosity, AkG, any idea on how often Intel updates their product lines?* Their 750 line up came out April 2015 and don't want to buy if it's about to be replaced, then again I also might wait for Black Friday sales. I suspect Optane will be too expensive, at first.

Off to read review
Old May 24, 2016, 12:54 PM

I have no official word on exactly when - or even IF - the 750 is about to be replaced... but my... well lets call it a 'guess' (and absolutely not based on any insider information or anything like that) is that its really high in their queue. Some more QA needs to be on the... well lets call it a '760' before its released. But the fact that it may (or may not) be in that stage means yeah its probably (or maybe not if it runs into problems) getting ready to be mass produced.

Based on my 'guess' Id say a Q maybe 2 at the most. Of course this is just based on hearsay and just me guessing and assuming no unexpected issues are encountered (eg the first SandForce based Intel drive took nearly an extra year to be released due to firmware issues!) etc etc etc ;)

IMHO get the best drive you need, when you need it and dont worry about what is coming down the pipe. Its not like a 750 is magically going to get 'slow' the day after its EOL'ed! Same with this RD400. If a quarter or two from now they release a... lets call it RD450 the RD400 will still potentially be a good choice. The only time I would say differently is if its weeks away.. then I would recommend peeps wait. But IIRC its not that close. :P