Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 24, 2016, 12:55 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I didn't want to bring this up but until Samsung understands that their Canadian customers deserve some form of customer service, we WILL NOT be going out of our way to include them in reviews. I understand this might seem shortsighted and I respect that opinion but our stance on this is firm.

With that being said, if things do change, expect us to actually go out of our way to even purchase review samples ourselves. I understand the need for certain drives to be included.
Old May 24, 2016, 04:30 PM
F@H

My System Specs

My RevoDrive3 X2 480GB (that I got off AkG) is still kicking... same goes for a my Vertex 2 and 3 SSD's too.

I don't really understand all the OCZ hate. Even back then, when my Vertex 1 died, the OCZ RMA was quick and located here in Ontario. It still works to this day (I think) but it's been sitting on my shelf a while since 60GB SSD's have become pretty slow and useless.

Definitely interested in this. I would have liked to see an additional riser card that brings back the RAID setup like the RevoDrive though

Do we know who will be stocking these? Last time I looked for OCZ products, it seemed only TD really carried them.
Old May 24, 2016, 04:33 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
IMHO get the best drive you need, when you need it and dont worry about what is coming down the pipe. Its not like a 750 is magically going to get 'slow' the day after its EOL'ed!
Sound advice, of course. But it might get cheaper, i.e. a repeat of the 2014 Black Friday sale on 730 drives.
Old May 24, 2016, 06:07 PM
MVP

Samsung has never registered on my charts for reliability, quality, or anything other than shit; I don't mind them being absent here.
Old May 24, 2016, 11:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Has anyone even tried to rma a toshiba drive and can report their first hand experiences?

From what I've read about toshiba Canada, it's a crapshoot between getting store credit for a drive and having customer service not even know what products they carry. From what I've read on /r/datahoarders and other subs, anyone who's tried to rma a toshiba X300 HDD has had horrible experiences.

If customer service is so important in a drives review, please put up a page in your review detailing first hand accounts. The article has two lines showing 5 year warranty, and that's it.

You can't compare pre-Toshiba OCZ customer service to post-Toshiba IMO.

When the main selection of NVMe drives aren't represented in these reviews, I go elsewhere. If you want to appeal to non-Canadian readers, you will need to eventually include Samsung drives. It's a fine line to balance, just like all the backlash about MSRPs all being listed in USD. Visitors who don't bother to delve into these forums won't know why these details are lacking and will just click somewhere else.

Edit: fixed a typo.

Last edited by zoob; May 24, 2016 at 11:53 PM.
Old May 25, 2016, 04:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

First off, nice review. They look like a nice drive.

Second I completely understand the reason for the Samsung not being listed as customer service means lots to me. This is even more important when I consider I purchase for work and recommend parts for people all the time. But, and I hate saying it, the Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVMe is one of the only drives of that style widely available here. Frankly it is very frustrating but it is the truth. Hell I just checked Mem Express, NCIX and Newegg and all of them only have the Samsung 950 Pro as a NVMe drive in the M.2 form factor. So I really do think that is why people question the lack of Samsung in the review charts.

Next is the RMA experience from Toshiba. I am very curious about this as we haven't gotten anything from Toshiba in years at work due to their crappy customer service. Now admittedly that was a long time ago so I'm hoping things have changed. Because when you combine that with the stigma of having OCZ in the name it would be a very hard sell to people at work and others who had issues with the OCZ drives in the past, even know it is not the OCZ of the past.
Old May 25, 2016, 05:32 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Thanks for the review. Happy to see new entrants in the NVMe M.2 SSDs segment or should I say about dang time? Still curious to see what Intel has in the works though.

From the conclusion section of the article:
Quote:
priced within the realm of sanity
Is it just me but there's allusion to a lower price point all over the article and yet I can't find the MSRP anywhere?

On a side note: frickin green PCB
Old May 25, 2016, 05:38 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groove View Post
Thanks for the review. Happy to see new entrants in the NVMe M.2 SSDs segment or should I say about dang time? Still curious to see what Intel has in the works though.

From the conclusion section of the article:

Is it just me but there's allusion to a lower price point all over the article and yet I can't find the MSRP anywhere?

On a side note: frickin green PCB
It's average online USD as opposed to MSRP, but there's a reference on the initial chart third from the bottom.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 1X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / Uncased 256GB Sandisk Z400S SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
Old May 25, 2016, 06:23 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoob View Post
Has anyone even tried to rma a toshiba drive and can report their first hand experiences?

From what I've read about toshiba Canada, it's a crapshoot between getting store credit for a drive and having customer service not even know what products they carry. From what I've read on /r/datahoarders and other subs, anyone who's tried to rma a toshiba X300 HDD has had horrible experiences.

If customer service is so important in a drives review, please put up a page in your review detailing first hand accounts. The article has two lines showing 5 year warranty, and that's it.

You can't compare pre-Toshiba OCZ customer service to post-Toshiba IMO.

When the main selection of NVMe drives aren't represented in these reviews, I go elsewhere. If you want to appeal to non-Canadian readers, you will need to eventually include Samsung drives. It's a fine line to balance, just like all the backlash about MSRPs all being listed in USD. Visitors who don't bother to delve into these forums won't know why these details are lacking and will just click somewhere else.

Edit: fixed a typo.
Some fair points in this post. A brief section that deals with warranties may be useful, and elucidate why Samsung is omitted. It doesn't necessarily have to change too much from one review to another until Samsung gets their act together.

Regarding warranties - RMA for OCZ/SSD products should still be through the Markham facility. This drive is technically still designated as OCZ as shown here.

The X300 you are referring to is a Toshiba HDD, so the only recourse is through Toshiba directly.

Old May 25, 2016, 07:57 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

OCZ RMA's include advanced replacement - one of the few to do so. It also includes no receipt necessary to RMA (unless the s/n shows it out of warranty... only then is proof of purchase necessary). OCZ branded products goes through OCZ (just like Crucial branded products go through Crucial and not Micron). Tosh branded drives go through Toshiba direct because Toshiba mainly is OEM and they are not setup (policy and procedures... and experience) for direct replacement to customers. I dont recommend Toshiba because of the hassle factor. Basically if it says OCZ in the model name its an OCZ model.

I phone them up with the S/N, a replacement shows up, I ship the old back... a little while later I am notified that it was indeed bad an no charges will be made to my cc (words to that effect). Pretty much painless. Pretty much 'hassle free'.

Even compared to Crucial - and everyone here knows how often I recommend the MX200 - OCZ is 'better' (faster, less hassle, cheaper, less downtime). This is not a knock against Crucial but OCZ is just that good in this regards. IMHO OCZ's rma process is neck and neck with Intel.

Now am I getting 'special service' because I am a reviewer... I doubt it. HWC is not that big to be given special treatment. If we were 'that big' Samsung would not have ignored our concerns.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr