Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Storage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/)
-   -   Do we need Blu-Ray? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/6946-do-we-need-blu-ray.html)

mazabe May 10, 2008 12:59 AM

Do we need Blu-Ray?

Hi guys im back, yes i have a question (sorry about all the threads im a curious person) DO we need a blu-ray on our computer right now because i was thinking maybe this year they gonna release games or software on blu-ray format only and maybe this year or next one our dvd drive are gonna be useless maybe.

Just my 2 cent about the blu-ray.

P.S. its now that i have something against blu-ray (in movies the image is awsome) but you now i am only scare to left behind when stuffs starts to come out in blu-ray format only.

Thanks guys for all your great help:biggrin:

lowfat May 11, 2008 10:31 AM

Games on Blu-ray are a long ways away IMO. It took 5-6 years before games were really put on to DVD. I bet you are safe for a good 3-4 years before needing one.

Jmac May 12, 2008 03:26 PM

I wouldn't go out of my way to get Blu-Ray unless I were making an HTPC ... They'll be <$50 in another year or two ...

Kaizer Soze May 27, 2008 01:27 AM

I have seen some for $250 up to $400, not TOO bad but still fairly pricey. As said before, if you are building an HTPC it would be a great advantage, but otherwise, there's really no point to it. Although, I must admit, Blu-Ray in 1080p looks way better than just normal 1080i, it's much more sharper, color is more vivid, image is...crisp.

I heard Blu-Ray manufacturers like to boast that if you are watching a movie and a grenade blows up, you get to see every little piece of shrapnel flying through the air. I just thought: "Well, is anyone going to be sitting there 4 inches from their TV screen counting every little bit that is like 2 square pixels big? They pause it every half a second and count: 1,2,3,4,5... XD"

Para_Franck May 27, 2008 04:00 AM

They are on special at 163$ on NCIX.com I will be getting one for my HTPC, heck the standalone units are still around 500$ so putting a drive in my computer is the way to go!

Supergrover May 27, 2008 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmac (Post 57272)
I wouldn't go out of my way to get Blu-Ray unless I were making an HTPC ... They'll be <$50 in another year or two ...

Yup not falling for that agian, paid over $500 for my first DVD burner back in the day, blueray is coming down in price weekly it seams, so if you can get by without it for now then do so.
My $0.02

Para_Franck June 7, 2008 06:33 AM

I just ordered this one Lg GGC-H20L BLU-RAY HD-DVD Reader BD-ROM 6X Hd DVD-ROM 3X DVD+-RW 16X8X6 Dl 4X Black Sata Software - DirectCanada
My PC is used as an HTPC so Bluray is a nice touch. This particular drive is now 140$ and it reads Bluray, HD-DVD and itburns and reads DVDs.

Can'T go wrong. I can't wait to see how an HD movie looks on my 32'' HD TV.

lowfat June 7, 2008 11:34 AM

I can't believe how much that drive has dropped in price. It was $100 more just 5 months ago.

khelben1979 June 9, 2008 04:21 PM

The LG Blu-ray is also much better then the ones which was released from Sony and Pioneer in the beginning.

When a Blu-ray has the same price as the dvd readers/writers which is on the market today then I will buy one, I believe. It's still too expensive for me, but it has been nice to see the huge price drop downs, indeed.

DK2 June 15, 2008 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Para_Franck (Post 61190)
I just ordered this one Lg GGC-H20L BLU-RAY HD-DVD Reader BD-ROM 6X Hd DVD-ROM 3X DVD+-RW 16X8X6 Dl 4X Black Sata Software - DirectCanada
My PC is used as an HTPC so Bluray is a nice touch. This particular drive is now 140$ and it reads Bluray, HD-DVD and itburns and reads DVDs.

Can'T go wrong. I can't wait to see how an HD movie looks on my 32'' HD TV.

I see the LG burner verion at Canada Computers is going for $299, so its coming down.
Still a bit crazy, but better than the insane 999 it was not too long ago.