Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 2, 2015, 09:18 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default The Intel SSD 750 Series Performance Review Comment Thread

Intelís SSD 750 Series has arrived and it redefines the meaning of high performance SSDs by absolutely demolishing the competition in every way possible.

Read more here: The Intel SSD 750 Series Review
Old April 2, 2015, 09:54 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Wow. What's the ship date on these, when will we see them available?
Old April 2, 2015, 09:58 AM

Immediately.
Old April 2, 2015, 10:01 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Or as soon as the retailers add them to their websites then.
Old April 2, 2015, 10:04 AM

Yup.

Also folks, pay special attention to our Compatibility and Connector pages in the review BEFORE you buy.
Old April 2, 2015, 10:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Holy Frack that's fast.

Really the only downside (other than cost, which isn't terrible in comparison to similar products), is appearance. If I was going to throw one in an enthusiast case with a window, I'd want at least a black PCB or a backplate to make it look nice in a system.

But damn, those speeds O_o
Old April 2, 2015, 10:05 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Probably Titan X type of prices though.
Heatware
Old April 2, 2015, 11:59 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

wow. AkG wasn't joking around when he said new SSD interfaces would result in massive gains.
Old April 2, 2015, 12:02 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

So I am wondering (actually wondering this is not criticism). For what uses would the average user here (enthusiast) engage in to enjoy the speed difference between these and a standard SSD (like the Samsung Pro series)?
I get why someone moving from HDD to SDD would be blown away by the changes (as I was - the boot times and CS5 load times made me happy when I changed to an SSD), and I get why a 750 would be amazing for someone running a database but I am at a loss to think of other uses other than stress testing or synthetic ones. Ideas?
Old April 2, 2015, 03:44 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Like the X99 motherboards...if you dont have a need for this level of speed it really will be the epitome of overkill for you. But then again this series is not for the average home user. Its for enthusiasts and it shows what Intel has planned for the long term. I would not be surprised if future 7 series SSD are also designed around socket 2011 mobos, 5 are for high end 1150 systems (probably SATA-E or maybe x4 M.2...or combo of both), and 3 series will be SATA for budget minds consumers.

It is hard to explain but the combination of X99 and this 750 series is a match made in heaven. They simply go together like beer and hockey- each make the other better and more enjoyable. System responsiveness goes through the roof. So much so that I literally had to redo most of the real world tests and make them crazy hard as the old tests were too easy damn easy.

TL;DR This new 750 really is a P3x00 drive meant for the enthusiast home user. If you think you need this level of performance, its a hella good deal. If not, wait for 5 series refresh (or maybe even the refresh after the upcoming refresh).

ďif your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.Ē - Dr. MLK jr