Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 26, 2015, 11:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default WD 4TB SE drive running into massive latency

Currently I'm running a few VMs off of a single 4TB drive (I know they're supposed to be in RAID) and when I try to put them to sleep, I need to essentially stop using my computer for about 30 minutes because almost any file I try to interact with will have upwards of 3 seconds of access latency.

I imagine this is because of the fault protection on the SE. Is this the case? If so, is it possible to make the enterprise features go away? I want to get a seconds one to RAID 1 them eventually, but for now it's just the single drive, so I'd like to get it working nicely.

I'm sorry july, I couldn't see you behind all that feruary.
Old January 26, 2015, 03:58 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I doubt if its from any of the RAID centric firmware causing the problem (if it is...you are basically SOL). More likely its a setup / config problem with VMWare....or that you are trying to simultaneously use multiple VM's off a single HDD -never a good idea. First thing first. Does it happen when you only use one VM image at a time? If not, move the others off that hdd. Then try multiple VMs (via dif hdds - with 1 image to 1 hdd) to see if the problem pops up. If it does its probably not storage related persay.

Could be a storage controller bottleneck, RAM bottleneck...or even CPU. Just too many variables. Honestly, you really need to move to SSD (preferably PCIe SSD) for VM. The difference in IOPS makes the cost worth it.

YMMV

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 26, 2015, 07:17 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, thanks to AkG, I migrated all my VM's over to 480GB Intel S3500 SSD's. Definitely makes a huge difference and it does mean you can have multiple machines power up or installing Windows simultaneously without any major performance impact. Even with my aging RevoDrive3 X2 480GB in my desktop, I can build out 4 VM's all at once without any hiccups.

It sounds like this 4TB drive is also holding your host OS? That's the only reason I can think of that would cause the whole machine to lock up. I doubt RAID1 would help you here either, you'd need RAID0 to gain the write performance needed when you're putting all your VM's to sleep (basically it's writing the "RAM" to disk).

Need some more details on your setup though.
How many VMs?
How much RAM per VM?
How much RAM in your PC?
What VM software is being used?
Can you shutdown the machines rather than putting them in standby/pause?
Old January 26, 2015, 08:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

the reason I think it's related to the hard drive is because I didn't have any issues until I upgraded from a WD 1TB black to the SE.

The number of VMs doesn't seen to impact the high latency on suspend. The VMs vary in RAM from 1GB up to 6GB, any combination of number of VMs and amount of memory seen to have the same results.

The host only has 16GB of RAM, but again, that doesn't seen to matter as I can try and suspend a machine with 1GB of memory with 20% use on the host, or I can suspend the 6GB VM at 90% host memory use with similar results.

I started seeing this issue on VMWare Workstation 8, but I have upgraded to 10 and then 11 in hopes of it getting better.

I can power some of them off, but a couple of them I use as a container that does not get powered off.

The host is just my home computer which is in my system specs.

Old January 26, 2015, 08:16 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Have you tried cleaning up and defragging the virtual disks? I believe those are options in VMware Workstation.

Have you check for firmware updates for the drive?
Old January 26, 2015, 09:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm trying to defrag one of them now. I can't find any tools for the Se for upgrading the SE's firmware.

Old January 26, 2015, 10:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bissa View Post
I can't find any tools for the Se for upgrading the SE's firmware.
That is because there are none! Just move to a SSD and your pain will go away.
Old January 27, 2015, 09:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am tempted to get an SSD, but I would need to drop a little over a grand if I wanted to do that. There's a reason I wanted the 4TB drive over a 1TB SSD.

Old January 27, 2015, 09:55 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Is there a reason that you need one BIG ssd vs a bunch of small 'uns? When you see a sale on cheap 240/256gb'ers why not pick one up. eg MX100 256 is like 110 right now. Is it a great drive? Nope. Is it a decent drive....yeah, absolutely - its not a POS. Move one of the vdisks to it....see if it helps thangs. If it doesnt....use the ssd as your OS drive. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 27, 2015, 11:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Because I have about 40 VMs that I use as test beds. I would have to move them on and off of a small one. I'm almost out of room in my computer and SATA ports on my motherboard.

I found something that may help with the issue, it seems that after suspending the vmem file would be pushing sometimes upwards of 50-60MB/s of read and write causing the queue on that drive to jump into the hundreds. https://olafd.wordpress.com/2010/12/...e-workstation/