Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 18, 2015, 10:48 AM
MVP

Question opinions on hard drive replacement plz...

i have read many opinions on hard drive replacements but remember that here are the only ones i can trust and take seriously.

first my latest story: i have 2 of those western digital :my cloud: storage devices. one is 3tb and has never given off so much as a peep and is working fine. last oct/nov time frame i acquired (brand new) one of the 4tb devices. it didnt last long before it was disconnecting at random from the network. fortunately i had about 80% of a back up so all the movies were not lost.

after it gave up the ghost, i took the WD cloud device apart and inside was a western digital red 4tb drive. i put a stethoscope to it and could hear it winding up giving off about2 seconds of seeking noises and then die completely. this began to happen continuously and then it would do ti at all. it sat there continuously trying to wind up and dying.

content (movies) prevented me from sending it back to WD, so i have disposed of it.

now for my question. what drives are good for my system (internally) and what are good for NAS, did i just get a dud or what?

thx for any advice, experiences.

Rob123

SS Wilson, its finally happening, february 11th this year is it.
Old January 18, 2015, 10:53 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Pulling the pin are you? What's that, 35ish?

Still killing HDDs I see..... ;)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old January 18, 2015, 01:53 PM
MVP

Smile the pin was .......

the pin was pulled for me...medical release. i am on "retirement" leave at this time, until the 11th of feb, that would give me just over 34 years.

and as for hard drives. i didnt think i could kill a WD Red that was only a couple of months old, but, there it is. and it was in a NAS. go figure.

trouble is i heard that this sort of thing is starting to creep up a lot in WD. looks like its time to go internal again, just wondering on brands.

cheers

Rob123
Old January 19, 2015, 08:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I see that Seagate offers plans to rescue your data in case of hdd failure. If other manufacturers offer the same thing you should go with that.
Old January 20, 2015, 10:02 AM
Hall Of Fame

WD uses the same drives in their NAS/Enclosures as they do for their internal drives so that won't make much of a difference. There were a lot of issues with the WD Green drives when they were released (probably for a couple years) and they had a very high failure rate. I believe I've had 6 or 7 in total and every one of them went bad either within warranty or just out of it. Supposedly the issue is fixed but I wouldn't trust a Green drive at all. I heard initially that the Reds had some issues as well but my clients have quite a few in their NAS' and I haven't seen a problem with any of them yet. The WD Blacks have always been good but they are pricey.

Seagate have been hit or miss for me and warranting the drives are a lot more painful than the WD process. They tend to be less expensive for 7200rpm drives though and have a 3 year warranty compared to the WD Blacks which have 5 years so if that's important it's worth the extra money.

Here is a link to the warranty period for WD drives...

Internal Mobile Hard Drives Overview

Seagate is a little more confusing as the don't have anything on their webpage for their warranty period and unless you check via the serial number I wouldn't want to state for sure what they are. I believe externals are 2 years and their 7200rpm drives might be 3 years or 1 year. I'd double check before purchasing though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob123 View Post
the pin was pulled for me...medical release. i am on "retirement" leave at this time, until the 11th of feb, that would give me just over 34 years.

and as for hard drives. i didnt think i could kill a WD Red that was only a couple of months old, but, there it is. and it was in a NAS. go figure.

trouble is i heard that this sort of thing is starting to creep up a lot in WD. looks like its time to go internal again, just wondering on brands.

cheers

Rob123

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old January 20, 2015, 10:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodscene View Post
Seagate is a little more confusing as the don't have anything on their webpage for their warranty period and unless you check via the serial number I wouldn't want to state for sure what they are. I believe externals are 2 years and their 7200rpm drives might be 3 years or 1 year. I'd double check before purchasing though.
The new series, even at 7200 RPM, warranty is 2 years, however the SSHDs are warranted for 3 years. I guess one of the best way would be to have your data on a RAID 5 matrix on a separate controller than the onboard one : one HDD takes a dive, you run in degraded mode till you replace the failed drive, or use an online spare.
Old January 20, 2015, 03:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Depends on the model, Always check where your buying... Barracuda is anything between 1 and 3 years depending on model IIRC

Someone linked a failure rate of drives here before... Think most of the newer drives have a higher failure rate, 3TB was the sweet spot IIRC again.

I'd go for a server orientated drive instead of a consumer drive if I was you... Usually a 3- 5 year warranty.. Also if you have stuff you cannot lose then as above I'd look at backups / redundancy.. Then again if it's easily replaceable... Your shout.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
DeeraxTheCoolNemo: "I never preSs CaPLoCK I just HiT my keyS so Hard ThEY Crit"
Old January 21, 2015, 07:57 PM
MVP
F@H

ARS Technica has an article on HD reliability: “when cloud backup provider Backblaze published its findings for the tens of thousands of disks that it operated.”

http://arstechnica.com/information-t...e-is-alarming/
Old January 25, 2015, 12:42 PM
Rookie

According to Backblaze Sept 2014 Report, Seagate 3tb has a failure rate from 9% to 15%, which is quite high compare to other manufacturers.
Old January 25, 2015, 12:44 PM
Rookie

But the same report also points out that the 1tb seems to working quite well from all manufacturers compare to the 3tb ones. Even from Western Digital, the 3tb failure rate is about 7%.