Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 7, 2015, 01:38 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default storage solution?

Hey,
I need some help figuring out how to solve my storage problem in a clean and cheap manner.

right now i have 3x 2TB WD greens, 1 400GB intel SSD, 1 external 1TB WD, 1x external 2TB WD.

the last of my 2TB internal HDDs is going to be full by the spring.

first questions is My Mother board Gigabyte Z68X-UD7-B3 says it can handle 3TB+ HDD
what does that mean can it handle a 6TB drive?

personally i would love to get rid of the two external drives (or at least get rid of the cables).
it seems i am on the verge of having to set up my own personal server.
i don't know a lot about that and i am not too worried if a drive dies(knock on wood).

i have one bay left inside my computer.

is my best option to just buy say a 6tb drive and be fine for another couple years?

what do you think?
Old January 8, 2015, 12:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

People in here that manipulate large volumes of data seem to have a preference for the new WD RED series. I would say get a 4TB one and see how it moves, but don't get it shipped from newegg, seems their process leaves a lot to be desired, buy it locally. Why 4 TB? I don't believe in getting the latest model as they might have some (unknown) issues that might occur during the lifetime of the product. WD RED that have the specs NASware 2.0 are the second generation. Get a 4 TB one first, move the data from the 2 external drives and see how it moves, and, if you like it, get more.
Old January 8, 2015, 09:43 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobo_crew View Post
first questions is My Mother board Gigabyte Z68X-UD7-B3 says it can handle 3TB+ HDD
what does that mean can it handle a 6TB drive?
Yes, if it supports 3TB disks already then it should be able to support the larger disks. If i remember right this is a combination of 4K block size as well as 48bit LBA addressing.

Remember any disks (or partitions) > 2.2TB will need to be formatted with GPT instead of MBR.