Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 27, 2014, 02:54 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Need advice/direction with configuration of HD's

Would like some advice please and thanks on how you would set this system up with Hard Drives.

Windows 7 64 bit
MSI Z97 Gaming 7
850W EVGA G2 psu
2 x PNY GTX 780's OC SLI
1x 3d blu-ray drive
4 x 4gb gskill 1600 ram
i7-4790K CPU
CoolerMaster Evo cpu cooler
5 case fans with controllers

Hard Drives
2 x 480gb ssd's
1 x 3tb Seagate Barracuda 7200
2 x 1tb Western Digital Black

So the 2 ssd's and Seagate 3tb are brand new unused and the 2 WD's have data on them.

As we speak I am running a dual boot system with the two 1tb drives. I initially bought the 3tb to put the data from the two 1tb's on and then purchase another 3tb drive to back it up. Then I purchased the 2 ssds and I am not sure what set up I should go with.

My thoughts are:
2 ssd's in RAID 0 and run Windows 7 and Steam games and Origin games on them.
3tb drive for everything else and purchase another 3 tb drive to back up.

I also have another computer that does not have any drives in it so I could use the two 1 tb's in it either the way they are now or one as back up to the other one.

I bought the Seagate because of the price compared to the WD 3tb drive but now I am second guessing myself as I have read lots of negatives about the Seagate 3tb drives failing very quickly. I have only used WD and they have always worked great. I could buy a WD Black 3tb and use the Seagate as it's back up or buy another Seagate 3tb to back up as that would cost less. As I said I am not really sure what I should do here. I could also use the two 1tb drives along with the ssds.

Anyway how would you set this up if it was your system?

I like gaming and my Steam Apps folder has 113,052 Files, 7,632 Folders and is 386GB's

Thanks, and hope I was clear enough with writing this all done. :)

Last edited by gfong; November 27, 2014 at 03:00 PM.
Old November 27, 2014, 04:45 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Go ahead with the RAID 0 SSD's for your boot / steam drive. You have enough room in the Phantom to keep 5 drives in there. I'd use a 1TB to back up your RAID Array, and get another 3TB to back up the data drive. I personally stick to WD as well, I've never had one fail and the last Seagate 2TB I bought lasted 3 months. However the chances of both of them going at once are pretty slim, so if money is tight grab another Seagate.
Old November 27, 2014, 06:24 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Go ahead with the RAID 0 SSD's for your boot / steam drive.
Thanks for the info, much appreciated.
Old December 2, 2014, 02:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

In your place I would buy another 3TB drive, Seagate, and do a RAID 1 matrix with your existing one, in this way your data will be safe no matter what. The other Black HDD can be deployed in other systems. RAID 0 for the two SSDs will perform awesome!
Old December 2, 2014, 03:33 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
In your place I would buy another 3TB drive, Seagate, and do a RAID 1 matrix with your existing one, in this way your data will be safe no matter what. The other Black HDD can be deployed in other systems. RAID 0 for the two SSDs will perform awesome!
...will do what you said, thanks for the info about RAID1... never crossed my mind to do that; was only thinking of Windows image backup.

Got the other 3TB Seagate drive delivered today! :) Could not pass up the $99.00 plus free shipping Newegg ca had a few days ago! Whats the I stand for in RAID...Inexpensive, :) so I guess that one fits the bill!

With the ideas from this post my HD configs should rock and everything will be properly backed-up! Thanks guys!

...Now that I have everything, I can't make anymore excuses on not putting it all together and seeing how it works. Weekend project for sure. Just have to switch cases from my CoolerMaster HAF 922 to the NZXT Phantom and of course all the guts!

Last edited by gfong; December 2, 2014 at 04:06 PM.