Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 5, 2014, 12:15 PM
Allstar

Default What the? WD Red and WD Red Pro

Why?

I actually liked the simplicity of the color scheme in their lineup. this "Pro" is just stupid. Just went to order a batch of drives and was faced with this... To top it off their Pro lineup doesn't even have larger then 4TB models.... does this mean they don't even trust their own 6TB models???
Old August 5, 2014, 05:00 PM
Rookie

Yeah I saw this a couple of weeks ago. Eithe newegg or tiger sent me an email about them. Seems they are the same drives with different warranties basically. I think it kind of make sense the 6TB drives don't have the longer warranty, they haven't been around long enough for WD to get metrics on how much the warranties will cost them.
Old August 5, 2014, 06:50 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Pro is designed for 8-16 bay NAS units and "business" environments as well as 5yr warranty and apparently tested more. I guess it provides a more affordable option to RE drives for SMB usage.

I think they did this since they're running out of discernible colours to use ;) They have Blue, Black, Green, Red, Purple, Yellow (Re), Orange (Xe), Aqua (Se).
Old August 5, 2014, 07:33 PM
Allstar

I am almost tempted to look up the spec differences.... but since they can't be bothered to put it in the ad of check marks I am meh about it.
Old August 6, 2014, 11:46 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Pro is designed for 8-16 bay NAS units and "business" environments as well as 5yr warranty and apparently tested more. I guess it provides a more affordable option to RE drives for SMB usage.

I think they did this since they're running out of discernible colours to use ;) They have Blue, Black, Green, Red, Purple, Yellow (Re), Orange (Xe), Aqua (Se).
Hmm, so this would mean:

Red - Small NAS
Red Pro - Larger NAS
RE - Full scale Enterprise drive?

Then the difference between the Black (Consumer) and RE? I think RE has TLER functionality over the Blacks, but hardware wise they are very similar (and possibly the same).
Old August 6, 2014, 06:15 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZzzSleep View Post
Hmm, so this would mean:

Red - Small NAS
Red Pro - Larger NAS
RE - Full scale Enterprise drive?

Then the difference between the Black (Consumer) and RE? I think RE has TLER functionality over the Blacks, but hardware wise they are very similar (and possibly the same).
I think Blacks and RE's are the actually different, or at least different controllers since you can get RE's in both a SAS and SATA config. They are probably very, very similar, the main difference being TLER.

I have read too the Red's are really just green drives with TLER turned on too. Not sure about Red Pro's.
Old August 6, 2014, 07:09 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I don't think the Red's go to sleep like the Green's do either.

As far as I can tell, the Red Pro's are just "tested better" and have a longer warranty. Buying extended warranty for a regular Red would likely be the same

All and all though, mechanically, all these drives are probably the same. The only difference I'm guessing is firmware for the most part. Maybe different controllers in the RE drives due to SAS capability, but I can't see WD having such a vast array of parts. It wouldn't be cost-effective for them to do that.
Old August 8, 2014, 06:13 AM
Rookie

Well I know black drives are pretty different from Reds and Greens and Blues, the main difference being that black drives have 2 controller chips on them and a little larger cache (64mb) I think. I am guessing the actual read/write heads and platters are relatively the same though.
Old August 8, 2014, 07:25 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldFlame View Post
Well I know black drives are pretty different from Reds and Greens and Blues, the main difference being that black drives have 2 controller chips on them and a little larger cache (64mb) I think. I am guessing the actual read/write heads and platters are relatively the same though.
The Reds have 64MB on their drives as well.
Old August 10, 2014, 10:46 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Wasn't the diff from reg to pro 5400rpm vs 7200rpm of pro versions?