Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 4, 2014, 08:05 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Crucial MX100 512GB SSD Review Comment Thread

Crucial's MX100 512GB is a rarity in the SSD business. It performs in line with higher end drives but costs significantly less.

Read more here: Crucial MX100 512GB SSD Review

End result: buy the 512GB. The 256GB and 128GB drives aren't the same drive. ;)
Old August 5, 2014, 07:23 AM
Top Prospect

Very interesting development!
Old August 5, 2014, 09:37 AM
Top Prospect

Sounds about right, I've been steering people to the 256GB and larger, I guess I'll narrow that down to 512GB now.
Old August 5, 2014, 09:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

a slightly off topic question here Are Intel systems better then AMD systems when using SSDs ?
with the prices now compaired to last year it would think that it would be allot better to get larger SSD then like what I have with a 120 SSD and a 2 TB drive I still have a few programs installed on my 2 TB drive because I don't want to use up the SSD drive space.
Old August 5, 2014, 10:11 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Basically this drive is an enterprise-like drive at half the cost of higher end drives per GB.

1. Data protection
2. Power loss caps at the NAND level
3. Midrange performance (sustained write could be better, but with everything else, you won't notice in real life)
4. Half the cost per GB compared to top end SSDs

$225 + tax on Amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
a slightly off topic question here Are Intel systems better then AMD systems when using SSDs ?
with the prices now compaired to last year it would think that it would be allot better to get larger SSD then like what I have with a 120 SSD and a 2 TB drive I still have a few programs installed on my 2 TB drive because I don't want to use up the SSD drive space.
In a word, yes Intel systems are generally better. At the moment the chipset support on the latest Intel chipsets generally leads to faster SATA 3 performance.

With this drive, it may be better just to get the 512 GB SSD, since the price has gone down. It's also worth noting that the larger drives are generally faster (controllers are fully saturated).
Old August 5, 2014, 10:33 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
The only big point of contention I had was how either system handles a TRIM environment. Of which Intel is way ahead of AMD in that regard (At least I think so, I haven't read anything as of late on how AMD is to date with their latest Chipsets, Maybe AkG can shed some light on that).

Its a nice drive though,

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old August 5, 2014, 02:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This is the drive I am now using as my main drive and really you just can't beat the price. I mean size and performance for half the price. I really don't think you can go wrong with this one, as long as it is the 512GB model.