Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 20, 2014, 07:21 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default thinking of new (bigger) SSD and everything that it involves

hello guys. I am in the market for a new SSD for my PC right now, as the Vertex 4 (256GB) I have is quickly running out of space and I seem to be installing new things (not spamwise)... for example I have windows 7 on it, my adobe suite, and BF4 (which is a game I play most of the time, hence want to load faster). when the last DLC landed for BF4, I nearly ran out of free space.

so right now being a relatively good time for SSD prices and July sales still going on at some places in the USA, I was thinking of the Samsung 840 Pro 512GB on Amazon for $380... (and maybe sell the one I have or give it to my little bro whom I built a PC for last xmas).

so I have a few questions: most obvious one being "can I do better speedwise for this price and about same capacity?" my other problem is more involved. I have oh so many plugins and tiny apps and things installed on my C:\ that reinstalling Windows and all of them is just suicide. then I remembered that I had a Crucial Transfer kit cable/CD from my father's a couple years ago... so I just need to ask this - is it realistic to make a copy of the drive using the Transfer Kit do you think?

My current Specs are: i7 920 @4.01GHz, 12GB gSkill RAM, ASUS P6X58D, EVGA 780 GTX 3GB OC, Vertex 4 256GB SSD+2HDDs, Windows Se7en x64.

My PC Setup *Updated* - YouTube <--- here is my build in video form
Old July 20, 2014, 07:28 AM
Hall Of Fame

You would be better off commiting suicide and doing a fresh install if the previous drive is almost full. Ensure the drive is clean and ready to go.
Old July 20, 2014, 08:10 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

dang I was really hoping to not go through this again.

also if I may a real quick side question: whi is the 840 EVO series 1TB on amazon cost only "slightly" more than the 840 Pro 512GB? (not that I can afford it, just asking. is the Pro a bit faster?)
Old July 21, 2014, 04:49 AM
MVP

My System Specs

All depends on the workload, 840 pro is devilish fast however a 1tb drive generally will smoke any 512gb drive, more space to do its thing so likely will be it also keeps its speed for much longer is used proper.
I only run a 60gb and manage to use a secondary mechanical for my favorites folder and some of my game installs, and try to keep all the desktop icons and such on my 2nd drive, all told I have 25gb unused that I do install 3 games to the SSD, system is still quite snappy, all in how you use it, not everything gets a benefit from raw SSD speed really depends on the program, but hey if you have the cash to burn on 1, why not.

840EVO/Pro, 850, force GT there is lots to pick from and honestly even the mediocre current drives out there that are not that $ for their size (Corsair LX as example) are still very fast and retain speed much longer then some of the older drives out there that most still use.
Old July 21, 2014, 05:02 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I would not recommend the Force GT - its old. I would not recommend the Evo line - its TLC NAND based. The Corsair LX (sili motion controller based) is a less than optimal model. The best thing I can say about the LX is its better than the LS it replaces.... but thats about it.

IF you want cheap and BIG go Crucial M550. Big, relatively fast, and relatively durable (even has FiF abilities). Good kit. The other possibility is the 840 Pro you are looking at. Yes its older, but it will be a bit faster.

If you want BIG and bleeding edge speed....go Samsung. 850 Pro. Good Kit. Pricey though.

TBH the M550 or 840 Pro are two of the best options for you and your price range.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old July 21, 2014, 05:13 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Yeah in my rig im retiring my 256 840 Pros to a Server. Looking at a 1TB 850Pro then 6 840 1TB Evos for storge. No more mechanical Hdd in my main Rig. My Nas on other hand will get old ssd in Raid 0 and 5x 4TB Reds for storage.
Old July 21, 2014, 06:09 AM
Top Prospect

I just upgraded from 256 to 512 SSD and the Samsung Evo is a great choice. Samsung comes with a great migration tool that allowed me to clone the drives. Very simple. Why do you want to go through a clean install for a bigger SSD. Not necessary. Get the Samsung Evo and use their migration tool...
Old July 21, 2014, 06:40 AM
Top Prospect

You might want to look at the Crucial MX100 512GB @ $225 on Amazon.ca, not as fast as the EVO, but close enough, and has Acronis for migration.