Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 12, 2014, 12:57 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Question about "DMA Setup Auto-Activate Optimization" WD HDD SATA feature

Hi guys!!! I have a few questions that I think some of the more informed members of the forum might be able to help me with.

My current PC uses 3 Western Digital HDDs. One is a Caviar Blue (model WDC WD5000AAKS-00UU3A0) that I use for for the OS (Win 7 Ultimate) and programs. A second one which is an RE3 Enterprise class drive ( model WDC WD5002ABYS-02B1B0) used for storing movies, music and videos and my third one, a Caviar Black ( model WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0) that I use for installing and running PC games and console emulators. While looking through the Hard Disk Sentinel ( ver 4.0) monitoring program I discovered a section under the "information" tab at the program's main screen called "Serial ATA Features". In this section all three HDDs have this feature called "DMA Setup Auto-Activate Optimization". In all three cases, however, this feature is listed as being "supported" but also "disabled".

Does anybody know what this function is for? And if it is supported by all three hard drives, why is it disabled by default? Could it improve hard drive performance in any significant way were it enabled? And finally, how could one enable such a feature? Could I use the HD Sentinel program itself or is there a more effective way to do it?

By the way my current motherboard is an Intel Extreme Series DP67BG if such information is of any use.

I would appreciate any informed answers regarding this subject. I am still pretty much a noob when it comes to fully understanding a number of hardware/software performance and/or optimization issues and this seems like one such issue. I hope a few kind folks can help me understand this feature and whether I could/should modify it or leave it just like it is now.

Many thanks in advance.