Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 9, 2014, 04:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Finally Making Jump to SSD, Need Help !!!

Like the title says. I'd like something that's fast but doesn't have to be blazing. Going to use it mostly for OS, a little bit of gaming and surfing. Movies and music will be on another regular drive. I'd like to get get it at NCIX. They have a bunch on sale so what would you recommend ? Thanks in advance. John.
Old May 9, 2014, 05:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

what size SSD and budget?
Old May 9, 2014, 08:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Budget $100 to $150ish. Size maybe 125 ?
Old May 9, 2014, 08:27 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Out of all the ones on sale the one that sticks out is the DCS3500. Its not the fastest...but they are built like tanks. It uses MLC nand...but its highly binned as the drive is meant for the server environment. I use its bigger bros the 800GB'er versions of the DC S3700 in my own rigs. Like I said not the fastest...but thats a tank of a drive.

Bigger and faster...Crucial M550 256GB. Great drive. M550 may use ONFi 3 NAND...but the smaller drives use 64GBit instead of 128GBit. This makes this and the 128version are eons faster than both the older M500 and the AData SP920 (which are also on sale..avoid...only the BIG models are on my personal 'buy' list).

Another great drive is the Sammy 840 Pro. Good kit. Highly binned NAND. 128 is slower than the 256GB version (which is 80 bucks past your budget...and should be VERY tempting to you...great first drive!)...but they are great kit. Sammy now have the lowest RMA rates in the industry. Why? Because they use only the cream of the crop out of their fabs in their own kit. IE only best of the best of the best goes into sammy drives.

The rest look to be old, slow and / or meh....unless Im overlooking one that is. BUT as it stands....those 3 drives are my picks. All rounder: Sammy Pro. Capacity: M550 Enterprise grade drive: Intel DC S3500. Pick your poision...and budget...and go from their.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 9, 2014, 09:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

it really depends on how many games you wanna install. Games are getting to the 10-15 GB size now and bigger with expansions and mods. A 120ish drive might get 2 or 3 games on it with your OS and it's as full as you want it to be. I would suggest at least a 250GB and spend a little extra for it if you have to.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old May 9, 2014, 09:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Based on AkG's advice I'm leaning towards the Sammy 840 Pro 256GB. Yes its more $$$ but sometimes bigger is a bit better. I do have another question. Like I said I have no experience whatsoever with SSDs. I will be doing a fresh Windows 7 install. Will I be able to just "slide it in" and install everything or is there anything I'll need to do because its a SSD ?
Old May 9, 2014, 09:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
it really depends on how many games you wanna install. Games are getting to the 10-15 GB size now and bigger with expansions and mods. A 120ish drive might get 2 or 3 games on it with your OS and it's as full as you want it to be. I would suggest at least a 250GB and spend a little extra for it if you have to.
That's what I was thinking too.
Old May 10, 2014, 09:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Obviously the Budget has to allow this .....but I'm a firm believer in smaller SSD for OS and minimal Apps (mostly just Utilities) and of course a larger SSD for games ;)

Old May 10, 2014, 10:54 AM
MVP

My System Specs

yes you should be able to just slide it in. I would however format using 4096 or 4k, and do make sure it is set to use AHCI a couple links here that can help.
How to Enable/Check TRIM/AHCI in Windows 7 - The Corsair User Forums
New to SSDs? Read this first before asking questions! (UPDATED 07/17/2011) - AnandTech Forums
that was what I was going to advice as well, Crucial M550 or Sammy 840 EVO or 840 PRO
Old May 10, 2014, 11:14 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Out of all the ones on sale the one that sticks out is the DCS3500. Its not the fastest...but they are built like tanks. It uses MLC nand...but its highly binned as the drive is meant for the server environment. I use its bigger bros the 800GB'er versions of the DC S3700 in my own rigs. Like I said not the fastest...but thats a tank of a drive.

Bigger and faster...Crucial M550 256GB. Great drive. M550 may use ONFi 3 NAND...but the smaller drives use 64GBit instead of 128GBit. This makes this and the 128version are eons faster than both the older M500 and the AData SP920 (which are also on sale..avoid...only the BIG models are on my personal 'buy' list).

Another great drive is the Sammy 840 Pro. Good kit. Highly binned NAND. 128 is slower than the 256GB version (which is 80 bucks past your budget...and should be VERY tempting to you...great first drive!)...but they are great kit. Sammy now have the lowest RMA rates in the industry. Why? Because they use only the cream of the crop out of their fabs in their own kit. IE only best of the best of the best goes into sammy drives.

The rest look to be old, slow and / or meh....unless Im overlooking one that is. BUT as it stands....those 3 drives are my picks. All rounder: Sammy Pro. Capacity: M550 Enterprise grade drive: Intel DC S3500. Pick your poision...and budget...and go from their.
I thought that Samsung warranty services for SSD in Canada was none existent? Unless I'm mistaken.