Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 6, 2014, 08:47 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Wink Dumb question about SATA II and SATA III

Hi,

My motherboard has only SATA II ports. I bought a 3TB HDD which is SATA III. I was wondering if it is real worthy to upgrade my board for SATA III just to get performance jump using my new SATA III hdd.

I know the difference is not much but I want to see real time benches comparing the differences between:

> SATA III hdd connected to SATA II port
> SATA III hdd connected to SATA III port.

PS: Yes, I am still on HDDs, yet to move on to SSDs

Thanks.
Old May 6, 2014, 08:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

Its not worth the trouble.

Mechanical drives barely touch SATA II speeds.
Old May 6, 2014, 08:54 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Its not worth the trouble.

Mechanical drives barely touch SATA II speeds.
What's the performance difference?

Thanks.
Old May 7, 2014, 10:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Stata 3 supports TRIM witch is very useful to SSD's .

The read wright speeds on a mechanical drive though STATA 2 vs STATA 3 are limited more by the drive than the interface.
Old May 7, 2014, 10:58 AM
Hall Of Fame

I don't think TRIM is dependent on the SATA version. Drivers and controller and OS are the factors regarding TRIM support.

Rockfella - There's no difference in performance for mechanical HDDs. Don't waste your time.
Old May 7, 2014, 10:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The Long answer:
SATA 2 transfer speeds are around the 300MB/s mark. However, this varies based on MB model, chipset, etc. This is a theoretical cap, but there's a LOT of factors involved. The average, decent 7200rpm HDD caps out at about 120MB/s I think? But this can go up or down based on the model of HDD. Some are as low as 50MB/s, and some are as high as 160MB/s. Again, these are theoretical caps and there are LOTS of factors to consider. When you do the math on a single drive, you're essentially only half way to saturation of SATA2's cap speed.
However, in the calculations you have to consider RAID, chipset, large file vs small file transfer... but ultimately moving the exact same HDD from SATA2 to SATA3 is unlikely to change much, if anything. And any improvements you DO see on SATA3 are more likely due to a newer, better chipset/CPU/MB/etc. rather than the move to SATA3.

The short answer:
Why would you buy a new board before an SSD? It's cheaper to buy a decent SSD for your existing system, run your applications from it and use your HDD as a data store, than it is to buy a new MB/CPU for the move to SATA3. And the speed difference for day to day operation will be significantly better. Once you move to an SSD as an OS drive, you will NOT go back.
Old May 7, 2014, 11:02 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Not worth it unless you have an SSD.
Old May 7, 2014, 11:54 AM
Rookie

As Bond stated, you won't see much of an increase in speed unless it's an SSD vs your HDD
Old May 7, 2014, 01:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Off topic here
to be honest I doubt that anyone would notice any difference at all between sata 2 or sata 3 even if you installed an SSD I mean if you run tests you most likely would see a difference but as a person you probably wouldn't notice anything at all .
I love my Hybrid drive that I use on my Gaming PC my system loads fast and the few games I have been playing load up pretty quick. I swapped out my SSD to the hybrid drive becasue I have approx 800GB of games alone so for me at least it says a bit using a single hybrid drive instead of my SSD pluss a 1TB drive .
Old May 7, 2014, 11:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

So instead of an SSD + HDD, you got an SSD + HDD where you can't control what's on the SSD portion. Good job!

The SSD portion isn't going to be able to cache your 800 gigs worth of games, and it's going to prioritize files you use often. Namely windows and other applications you use. I doubt any major portion of the game itself is on the SSD.