Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 1, 2014, 09:12 PM
Trial Member

Default HDD Prep for RAID Array

Hi guys, I just wanted to get a few opinions on what to do with my drives before I slap them into my RAID array. I just bought 10 shiny new 4TB WD Reds and I am putting them into my server in RAID 6 configuration using my Adaptec ASR-52445 28 Port Controller. I was just curious if people thought that I should run Data Lifeguard or similar tests on these drives before I put them onto my controller.
AFAIK the controller's BIOS will zero the drives before building the array but is that a sufficient way the check the integrity of the drive? I can't imagine how long it would take me to run tests on 10 4TB drives but I am willing to do it if it will ensure my array not shitting the bed in the future with a bunk drive that I could have RMA'd right out of the gate.
Also, If I use DLG tools is a USB 3.0 dock a bad idea to run the tests on? I have a 2 slot one on my Windows machine and just for ease of access it would be ideal for running the tests on that rather than physically mounting each drive into the machine or having to add it into my ESX server each time.

Thanks in advance fellas.

Last edited by mrasstits; May 1, 2014 at 09:21 PM.
Old May 12, 2014, 11:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

For torture testing/breaking in the drives you could use preclear which is part of the Unraid operating system. The basic version is free to D/L. Set it up to run three consecutive tests per disk. Just a heads up it takes a while to run the 3 tests - like 72 hours for a 4tb drive. It works the drives pretty hard so definitely get some airflow on them while the test is in progress.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old May 12, 2014, 04:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have just done the same as you, only on a slightly older adaptec card.

I just threw 'em in and let 'em build. I'll wait a month before putting anything important on them.

Let me know if you get any "aborted commands" on the drives. I suspect my backplane is.... suspect.