Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 1, 2014, 07:46 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Intel 730 240GB SSD Review Comment Thread

Intel's newest enthusiast SSD, the 730 series boasts their X25 Gen3 controller and a premium price. But with so much competition near its $250 price, is there enough to set the 730 apart?

Read more here: Intel 730 240GB SSD Review

Old May 1, 2014, 09:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Pity.
Old May 2, 2014, 04:24 AM

Yeah, pretty much explains why sites were initially sampled the 480GB version....
Old May 6, 2014, 12:06 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

The relatively* small speed differences between SSD's may be a minimal consideration in an environment where drive failure is an important factor. Because of that many people will likely go for Intel. Though such brand recognition may be dangerous given that they too use 3rd party controllers for various drives.

At work we've had a 100% failure rate with multiple OCZ Agility 3, Vertex, and Vertex 2 drives under 10 months of video and rendering usage (less than 3 months on a batch of Vertex 2's, maybe a bad drive run). 0% failure rate with 1-1.5 year usage of Intel (can't remember the exact models bought last year) , Samsung 840 Pro's, and Samsung EVO's.

Our SSD supplier has mentioned that ADATA and Kingston had horrible return rates (drive failure) though the conversation regarding those drives is from last summer.

What are your folks experience with SSD longevity these days? I've been looking over reviews of the ADATA and Crucial drives recently reviewed (which look promising) but am a little gunshy given previous SSD failures occurring at the worst of times (always seems to happen during big projects when the timing couldn't be worse).

I've personally had mixed feelings about the SSD 'revolution'. The speed is nice but I also have about a dozen 10k rpm SCSI Cheetahs from 2001 that still work with no bad sectors. Now the capacity is garbage (hence their replacement) but not having to think about drive failure was a nice state to be in (because backups don't remove the problem of downtime with drive failure).

*relative to the difference between SSD to HDD
Old May 6, 2014, 02:36 PM
Rookie

I can vouch for Crucial, In fact I'm ready for an upgrade. My old M4 64 is going in the new XBMC machine and I think I'm going to pick a M500 240Gb for 130.00. I had this M4 initially on an old (ULI) Nvidia chipset, sataII. The thing is approaching 3 years old, this fall and has been flawless. Not one hickup, nothing. Granted, Crucial isn't all that speedy but the reliability is essential to me.
Old May 6, 2014, 07:38 PM
Rookie

I'm happy with my 530, don't see the need for this new 730 coming out especially with SSD prices being so low these days.
Old May 7, 2014, 04:30 AM

I've had amazing longevity with the two Corsair Force GT in my main test system. I upgraded to HyperX 3K drives for some additional capacity but those Corsair SSDs still seemed to provide excellent responsiveness years after their addition.
Old May 7, 2014, 05:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntslatko View Post
The relatively* small speed differences between SSD's may be a minimal consideration in an environment where drive failure is an important factor. Because of that many people will likely go for Intel. Though such brand recognition may be dangerous given that they too use 3rd party controllers for various drives.

At work we've had a 100% failure rate with multiple OCZ Agility 3, Vertex, and Vertex 2 drives under 10 months of video and rendering usage (less than 3 months on a batch of Vertex 2's, maybe a bad drive run). 0% failure rate with 1-1.5 year usage of Intel (can't remember the exact models bought last year) , Samsung 840 Pro's, and Samsung EVO's.

Our SSD supplier has mentioned that ADATA and Kingston had horrible return rates (drive failure) though the conversation regarding those drives is from last summer.

What are your folks experience with SSD longevity these days? I've been looking over reviews of the ADATA and Crucial drives recently reviewed (which look promising) but am a little gunshy given previous SSD failures occurring at the worst of times (always seems to happen during big projects when the timing couldn't be worse).

I've personally had mixed feelings about the SSD 'revolution'. The speed is nice but I also have about a dozen 10k rpm SCSI Cheetahs from 2001 that still work with no bad sectors. Now the capacity is garbage (hence their replacement) but not having to think about drive failure was a nice state to be in (because backups don't remove the problem of downtime with drive failure).

*relative to the difference between SSD to HDD
For me at work we have ad a huge failure rate on the Vertex 2 drives that we got a bunch of. We switched to the Intel drives shortly after the 520 came out and haven't looked back. Not one failure (knock on wood) on 'any of the Intel drives and we have a lot of them so far. That said I would be really interested in the 730 and we might go that way for people that want the 480GB model, but most of our people use network drives and we find that 240GB is kind of the sweet spot and in that size I will stick with the 530 I think.

Old May 7, 2014, 06:29 AM

And that's the point; in its price bracket, the 730 240GB is a poor value even compared against other lower end Intel drives.

In addition, longevity of a particular drive, without meaningful statistics, is a non-starter in any review simply because we have no way to do long-term testing prior to a given publication date. With that in mind, we can't take that into account.
Old May 7, 2014, 05:58 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

If longevity is the number one concern....get an Enterprsie grade SSD from one of the big 3. They are built to higher standards and use higher quality components. IE quality costs. For the record I am not lumping the 730 into the enterprise category. It is a commercial grade drive w/ some enterprise features tacked on.

If you go consumer drives, the number one choice is still Samsung, followed by Intel then Crucial/Micron (ie Samsung then IMFT foundry based drives). However, rumours state that Intel may no longer be skimming the best of IMFT for their own drives (the contract which allowed this 'may' not have been renewed / sunseted/ etc). So next year or two it may be Samsung then Crucial/Micron then Intel.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr