Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 3, 2015, 01:28 PM
Rookie

Sorry -- I didn't mean to sound insulting, I'm just a little angry (not at you or any of the review sites) that I bought two of these just for that feature over the others and it looks like it may not have that in the final retail product, if anything, I'm angry at Intel, esp since they can't get their facts straight. This article: Intel 730 480GB SSD - Power Capacitors Present in RetailServeTheHome ? Server and Workstation Reviews shows that the retail product, that was purchased, has the caps, but it's very possible that the power protection circuitry could be disabled on purpose as a marketing decision to differentiate enterprise vs consumer SSD's. But what gets me, is that Intel distributed these engineering samples to review sites and I *assume* advised that this feature is present in the Intel 730 series. I'm not suggesting anything is fake, I invested a lot of money on these two drives (480GB Model) and just want a straight answer from Intel but their response adds more mystery and confusion.

Here's is the ticket #8001078968

The Support Rep Name: Nestor

The Number I called: 1-916-377-7000

I think it's option 7, and it's specifically for SSD products.

Hello Alex,

My apologies for the misunderstanding.

What I was trying to let you know is that the link we found for the review, the third party link, where it shows the drive with the capacitors is fake.

We confirmed it is fake as my engineering department double check about it and the SSD 730 was never built with the capacitor for the power loss data protection.

This means, the SSD does not have the capacitors at all, therefore the Intel's website has the correct information of the drive.
Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks.

Original TextFrom:Alex xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To:[email protected] <[email protected]>CC:
Sent:03/02/15 14:05:27Subject:Re: {ticketno:[8001078968]} - Your Intel Customer Support Inquiry
Hi -- I'm sorry, I'm a little confused, what is fake? Does the Intel 730 SDD then contain the caps/power loss protection?

Thanks,

Alex

Last edited by adobepro; March 3, 2015 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old March 3, 2015, 01:49 PM
Rookie

Quick update, I still don't know which review site he was referring to as fake -- was it there's or one of the links I sent him? Certainly your site, and the others I mentioned are considered Tier 1 review sites, but yes, sometimes a mistake is made**, but clearly, this is not a mistake, as all the review sites show that it has caps, with the suggestion, most likely from the Intel rep sending these samples out, that it has power loss protection.

With that being said, I think it's obvious the support rep I spoke/emailed to, doesn't have a clue of what's going on. I have no further higher-tier contacts at Intel, but it would be great if you did, to confirm that it does or doesn't. If I can help in anyway, please let me know. I've submitted one of my serials to them already for the support request, which I bought two of these drives from newegg.

**Maybe suggesting that is does offer power protection, but it's misleading, as it's been disabled in the final retail product, e.g., It shows the appearance with the appropriate HW, but it's disabled. Like with the old NVIDA GPU's when cores were disabled [EDIT: and we knew that, so it wasn't bait-and-disable], as opposed to now where I think they sell the lower ends ones based on usable/defective cores, without purposely disabling anything to sell it as a lower end product. Again, I'm not saying you or any of the review sites intentionally made a mistake, this is just an example of a potential mistake / possibly bait-and-switch, guided possibly by a suggestion from Intel that it has that capability (but the final retail product will have it disabled.) Please don't read into that in any negative way, I'm just providing an example of what I think potentially happened. Yes, the caps maybe there, but is the functionality enabled or disabled?

Last edited by adobepro; March 3, 2015 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old March 3, 2015, 02:16 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Thanks for the info mate. Just to be clear I didnt think you were being insulting, I thought that Intel rep Nestor was being pretty damn insulting to the whole industry. I mean an actual representative of Intel is stating that the entire review industry is so full of sociopaths that we would take the time to make their products look better than they really are - and basically insinuating the company he works for paid off everyone who has ever gotten a 730 sample for review! That person is in desperate need of more training - or a good old fashioned 'lateral promotion'...as he should never be allowed to be talking to the gen pub for any company ever.

This is why I wanted to make sure you were not some troll...as it would make a pretty good troll post (truth sometimes IS stranger than fiction).

Let me see what Intel has to say on the matter.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 3, 2015, 04:32 PM
Rookie

You're welcome and thanks as well. I completely agree, and the odd thing is, the engineers he spoke to also confirmed this?

I can only assume:

"We confirmed it is fake as my engineering department double check about it and the SSD 730 was never built with the capacitor for the power loss data protection." Giving some liberty with interpreting his reply, possibly the cap's are not designed for power loss protection. OK, fine, maybe they are there for another design reason and maybe the "fake" is not the links I sent, but a link he found on a third party site, which was not named by him.

"This means, the SSD does not have the capacitors at all, therefore the Intel's website has the correct information of the drive." This is where I lose faith in any credibility from any of his responses. According to all the Engineering Samples and the Retail version tear down on that site, it does have caps. If he made an honest mistake, fine -- correct it and move forward. But consulting with the Engineering team, if that was really done, and this is the response, something is really wrong.

Anyways, thanks again and hopefully we can get to the bottom of this, and again, if you need any help on my end, please let me know.
Old March 3, 2015, 07:13 PM

I have contacted our Intel guy. It probably will be a couple days before I hear anything back - as I have asked for official Intel comments on this issue (and the tech 'support' issue - which I consider a separate matter entirely). If / when I have any concrete details I will post what I can for ya mate. No guarantees, but now I am very curious and will do my best to find out what is going on with the 730 series...and Intel's tech support.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 4, 2015, 08:58 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Is this the beginning of #capgate? (sorry had to)

Seriously though, this would suck big monkey nuts as I also bought one for the power protection... if this is true then the 240 (the only one available at the time) wasn't near as good a deal as it seemed.
Also I have to wonder, whats the difference from a 530 to a 730 if there is no FiF ability? Seems to me that it's lower performance for higher cost.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
DeeraxTheCoolNemo: "I never preSs CaPLoCK I just HiT my keyS so Hard ThEY Crit"
Old March 4, 2015, 09:08 AM
MVP

My System Specs

The difference is the right to say you are on an intel platform/controller over a sandforce one.
Heatware
Old March 4, 2015, 10:13 AM

Just as a quick update, my Intel rep has gotten back to me and stated that he is looking into the matter and will get back to me as soon as he finds out something concrete.

As for 5 vs 7 series. The 7 has better long term performance abilites. Basically the 480GB 7 series will not get as slow - and will get out of it quicker - than the comparable 5 series models...Plus higher binn'ed NAND. When you buy a 7 series you get the best standard MLC NAND that Intel gets from IMFT.

Old March 4, 2015, 08:53 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Just to throw a little bit more gas on the fire....

Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD SSDSC2BP480G4R5 2.5IN SATA 6GB/S 20NM MLC Retail Package - SSDSC2BP480G4R5

NCIX's specs list power loss data protection, and I've always assumed that they got their specs direct from the manu (or even that the manu rep has access to input the specs him/herself)

Quote:
Drive Performance
Maximum External Data Transfer Rate: 768 MBps (6 Gbps)
Maximum Read Transfer Rate: 550 MBps
Maximum Write Transfer Rate: 470 MBps
Random 4KB Read: 89000IOPS
Random 4KB Write: 74000IOPS
General Information
Brand Name: Intel
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Manufacturer Part Number: SSDSC2BP480G4R5
Manufacturer Website Address: Intel: Tablet, 2in1, Laptop, Desktop, Smartphone, Server, Embedded
Package Type: Retail
Packaged Quantity: 1
Product Name: Solid-State Drive 730 Series
Product Series: 730
Product Type: Solid State Drive
Interfaces/Ports
Drive Interface: SATA
Drive Interface Standard: SATA/600
Network (RJ-45): No
Network & Communication
Wireless LAN: No
Physical Characteristics
Depth: 4" (100.5 mm)
Drive Type: Internal
Drive Width: 2.5"
Height: 0.3" (7 mm)
Weight (Approximate): 72 g
Width: 2.8" (69.9 mm)
Technical Information
Features: Rapid Start Technology
Multi-level Cell Flash
256-bit Hardware Encryption
Power Loss Data Protection
Storage Capacity: 480 GB
Warranty
Limited Warranty: 5 Year

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 1X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / Uncased 256GB Sandisk Z400S SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM

Last edited by sswilson; March 4, 2015 at 09:00 PM.
Old March 5, 2015, 05:42 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Power loss data protection was one factor in why I bought the 240GB version...