Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 24, 2014, 01:18 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Searching the word document that was used for editing, Bootable was mentioned 8 times in the review. :) ;)
Ha! OK, I'll admit I skimmed the review more than read every page because I'm at work.

So, it's bootable but do you need a raid driver prior to loading windows on it, or is it accessible natively like a SATA drive?

Last edited by SugarJ; April 24, 2014 at 03:46 PM.
Old April 24, 2014, 01:53 PM

My System Specs

Was hoping it was going to be an M.2 based board like the Plextor M6E, just not so slow. SATA 6Gbps is so long in the tooth.

Do you guys include the RAID bios initialization in the Windows boot? My Revodrive 3 is the slowest SSD at booting I have ever owned due to how long the initialization takes. By moving away from it, my machine boots significantly faster.
Old April 24, 2014, 07:14 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Do you guys include the RAID bios initialization in the Windows boot? My Revodrive 3 is the slowest SSD at booting I have ever owned due to how long the initialization takes. By moving away from it, my machine boots significantly faster.
+1 to this. With UEFI + Windows 8, it's painful how much the RevoDrive3 impacts my bootup. That being said, the X79 chipset in itself isn't the quickest either though.
Old April 24, 2014, 08:23 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yes and no lowfat.

For the win 7 testing yes that was fully boot time, for partial and full drive testing...no (would have skewed the results away from what is being tested: performance droop...and the initialization basically takes the same no matter how full). For the record...I do not recommend this tank for vista. Way to much hassle to get it work.

But yes, in typical ocz fashion the longest part of the boot time is waiting for it to initialize. Its kinda like "poke it with a stick...yup...it is working....OH there we go....brrrrraaaaappp windows is loaded and the virus scan is DONE" type deal.

Personally, if someone makes a m.2 + pcie x4 that actually uses a x4 capable controller - not x2 like Plextor - it would be the best of all worlds: near classic pcie seq speeds, decent small file performance, no cpu overhead worth talking about...and dirt cheap in comparison. Hopefully that happens soon'ish!

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 3, 2014, 07:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So m.2 storage is the new rage?
Maybe a review of the Mushkin Scorpion Deluxe?

Last edited by MARSTG; May 3, 2014 at 07:50 PM.