Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 2, 2008, 03:54 PM
Rookie

Default Help Fix NTLDR

I tried to do a RAID setup. I went through the Gigabyte software setup, rebooted and got "NTLDR is missing." Does anybody know how to fix this? The forums I've searched are not much help.
Old May 2, 2008, 03:57 PM
Allstar

find a old win 98 floppy and type that :

a:/fdisk/mbr

i will repair your master boot record which got corrupt in the process

DFI LP nF4 Ultra-D / AMD Opteron 165 @ 2.7Ghz/ 2*1GB OCZ Gold GX XTC / Sapphire X1950XT / Fortron 450W PSU / 2*Maxtor 80Gb

Old May 2, 2008, 04:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If your using Vista boot from the DVD click install,let it check for previous windows installs, it will then prompt you that you have boot problems/ click fix boot errors, restart, should boot fine now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old May 2, 2008, 04:36 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
If your using Vista boot from the DVD click install,let it check for previous windows installs, it will then prompt you that you have boot problems/ click fix boot errors, restart, should boot fine now.

haven't think that Hmmm that "vista" thing was out there ...

DFI LP nF4 Ultra-D / AMD Opteron 165 @ 2.7Ghz/ 2*1GB OCZ Gold GX XTC / Sapphire X1950XT / Fortron 450W PSU / 2*Maxtor 80Gb

Old May 2, 2008, 05:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

pretty sure NTLDR is XP only as Vista doesn't use that.

To fix that error takes a great deal of time patience, and a cd.
Old May 2, 2008, 05:11 PM
Allstar

i got rid of that with my old floppy disk ...

but sometime it can be a real pain in the A$$

Old May 2, 2008, 05:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebdoradz View Post
i got rid of that with my old floppy disk ...

but sometime it can be a real pain in the A$$
You cannot get rid of the NTLDR error with a floppy disk as you need a windows cd to boot into system repair console and copy some files to fix it.
Old May 2, 2008, 05:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
pretty sure NTLDR is XP only as Vista doesn't use that.

To fix that error takes a great deal of time patience, and a cd.
Damn thats right
I was dual booting xp/vista at the time, pretty sure it was ntldr error but I guess not, heres a quick link
Simple "ntldr is missing" fix with boot floppy, CD-R, or USB flash

Edit:
MS's fix
Windows may not start and you may receive an "NTLDR is missing" error message if Windows is not up-to-date and there are too many files in the root folder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old May 3, 2008, 04:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

if you go to a computer that has xp on it you can enable "show protected system files" (or something to that effect) in the folder options, then copy the ntldr file that is in your root drive (c:) usually) to a floppy drive, then reboot with the floppy in, it'll try and boot to it, then you can change directory to C: and copy the ntldr file. (this is pretty complicated if you have no clue how to use a few dos commands, but its really quite easy) or if you dont have a floppy, meby you have a live version of linux? you could boot to linux (after getting a copy of the ntldr file from a working windows setup) and then copy it from there. or use a pre install environment like mini PE.

all in all though the ntldr is missing error is really really annoying... and for alot of people a sure means for a reinstall

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0
Old May 3, 2008, 05:30 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrich View Post
I tried to do a RAID setup. I went through the Gigabyte software setup, rebooted and got "NTLDR is missing." Does anybody know how to fix this? The forums I've searched are not much help.
When I had problems like that it was because the RAID drivers were not properly installed during the installation process. The installer just does it wrong sometimes. What is "the Gigabyte software setup"? Do you mean F6 during the install and load some drivers from floppy?