Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Storage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/)
-   -   Help Fix NTLDR (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/6610-help-fix-ntldr.html)

Gerrich May 2, 2008 03:54 PM

Help Fix NTLDR

I tried to do a RAID setup. I went through the Gigabyte software setup, rebooted and got "NTLDR is missing." Does anybody know how to fix this? The forums I've searched are not much help.

ebdoradz May 2, 2008 03:57 PM

find a old win 98 floppy and type that :

a:/fdisk/mbr

i will repair your master boot record which got corrupt in the process

Supergrover May 2, 2008 04:17 PM

If your using Vista boot from the DVD click install,let it check for previous windows installs, it will then prompt you that you have boot problems/ click fix boot errors, restart, should boot fine now.

ebdoradz May 2, 2008 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supergrover (Post 55550)
If your using Vista boot from the DVD click install,let it check for previous windows installs, it will then prompt you that you have boot problems/ click fix boot errors, restart, should boot fine now.

haven't think that Hmmm that "vista" thing was out there ...

enaberif May 2, 2008 05:01 PM

pretty sure NTLDR is XP only as Vista doesn't use that.

To fix that error takes a great deal of time patience, and a cd.

ebdoradz May 2, 2008 05:11 PM

i got rid of that with my old floppy disk ...

but sometime it can be a real pain in the A$$

enaberif May 2, 2008 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebdoradz (Post 55561)
i got rid of that with my old floppy disk ...

but sometime it can be a real pain in the A$$

You cannot get rid of the NTLDR error with a floppy disk as you need a windows cd to boot into system repair console and copy some files to fix it.

Supergrover May 2, 2008 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 55558)
pretty sure NTLDR is XP only as Vista doesn't use that.

To fix that error takes a great deal of time patience, and a cd.

Damn thats right :doh:
I was dual booting xp/vista at the time, pretty sure it was ntldr error but I guess not, heres a quick link
Simple "ntldr is missing" fix with boot floppy, CD-R, or USB flash

Edit:
MS's fix
Windows may not start and you may receive an "NTLDR is missing" error message if Windows is not up-to-date and there are too many files in the root folder

tzetsin May 3, 2008 04:33 AM

if you go to a computer that has xp on it you can enable "show protected system files" (or something to that effect) in the folder options, then copy the ntldr file that is in your root drive (c:) usually) to a floppy drive, then reboot with the floppy in, it'll try and boot to it, then you can change directory to C: and copy the ntldr file. (this is pretty complicated if you have no clue how to use a few dos commands, but its really quite easy) or if you dont have a floppy, meby you have a live version of linux? you could boot to linux (after getting a copy of the ntldr file from a working windows setup) and then copy it from there. or use a pre install environment like mini PE.

all in all though the ntldr is missing error is really really annoying... and for alot of people a sure means for a reinstall

Jack Rabbit May 3, 2008 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerrich (Post 55547)
I tried to do a RAID setup. I went through the Gigabyte software setup, rebooted and got "NTLDR is missing." Does anybody know how to fix this? The forums I've searched are not much help.

When I had problems like that it was because the RAID drivers were not properly installed during the installation process. The installer just does it wrong sometimes. What is "the Gigabyte software setup"? Do you mean F6 during the install and load some drivers from floppy?