Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 1, 2014, 12:33 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default SSD dying on my Zenbook?

Hi
my UX31A was working fine until today.
turned it on and about 2~3min in, windows locked up. mouse pointer moves but nothing else.
I hard rebooted, samething, locked up again after couple of min.
then I rebooted few more times, and SSD disappeared. boot device not found.
no SSD listed in BIOS boot list.
rebooting few times, SSD suddenly showed up booting into windows but freezing few min after.

Last edited by importpsycho; April 1, 2014 at 01:41 AM.
Old April 1, 2014, 08:32 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

It's possible that the ssd is dead, judging from what you wrote. But just to make sure grab any spare ssd or hdd and plug it in your notebook. If the bios finds it without any problem then yes it's dead if not. Could be a different problem "faulty" Sata ports for example, power issues etc...
Old April 12, 2014, 07:36 PM
Top Prospect

How old is it? Were you careful to limit the page writes to the drive (avoiding programs that constantly write little bits of data to the drive, and streaming websites that cache the entire 1080p video on the drive, etc)?

If you have your data all backed up already, might as well reinstall windows as a last shot in the dark. Would be interested to see how it goes.