Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 4, 2008, 01:16 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Partitions suck.
Drives are cheap.

You can have as many partitions as you want but if your drive does your out everything.

But something like a 250g for your OS/Data/Games and a 500 or a 750 for everything else.
I used to partition my drives as follows: C: (system) 200gb D: (downloads) 50gb and G: (games) 200gb.

Like Enaberif stated, drives are cheap, so I bought a few 500gb. So what I'm planning on doing with my new system when I get time to install everything is:

C: (system/games) 500gb internal HD
D: (downloads) 500gb external HD
M: (music, videos, pictures ) 500gb external HD

I'm favoring the external HD's especially for music, videos, downloads etc because say you want to share files with your friends. Just pack up the external and plug it in to your friends and swap files. Plus if the HD is failing that has your media, downloads etc on it, just hook up another external, transfer the files. A lot easier than powering your system off, installing a new drive, copying the files on the new drive, power off the system again to remove the failing drive. I love Ultras stackable external HD's. Its too bad more companies don't make stackable external HDs. Looks nice and less clutter on the computer desk with stackables. I wish I could afford HP's MediaSmart 1TB Server. With one of those, you wouldn't need externals. One of those babies would be ultimate for offline storage.
Old May 4, 2008, 11:32 AM
Top Prospect

Honestly, I'd love to do that...but until I can afford to...I guess I'll have to live with partitions to organize things and ease reformats.

I think I'm gonna do it today...any suggestions to the order in which I install things?
Intel C2D E6300 @ 3.5ghz 1.45V
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro

Mushkin (996576) 2X1GB HP2-6400 @ 1000mhz 5-5-5-15 1.9V
eVGA 7600GT KO @ 630/880
Seagate 7200.10 320GB

Samsung SH-162

Samsung 205BW

Logitech Media Keyboard
Logitech MX518

Old May 4, 2008, 01:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyazn View Post
Honestly, I'd love to do that...but until I can afford to...I guess I'll have to live with partitions to organize things and ease reformats.

I think I'm gonna do it today...any suggestions to the order in which I install things?
If you can't afford another drive then DON'T bother with partitions cause if you DO buy another drive down the road and transfer your data your stuck with partitions to remove which can or cannot be diffcult depending on your skills.
Old May 4, 2008, 01:43 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Meh... if crazyazn waits more than 3 months to buy another drive then crazyazn will probably want to reformat to clean up the mess that Windows will become.

Extra drives in a computer are fine but what you really want is a NAS.
Old May 4, 2008, 02:28 PM
Top Prospect

I get what you guys mean...but I don't think I'll be getting a new drive anytime soon...maybe when it's boxing day...so I'm def. gonna reformat again at least once before I do get a new one.

About partitions being difficult to remove...I use PartitionMagic to make them...and I'll be using it to delete them...or is there an even easier way?
Intel C2D E6300 @ 3.5ghz 1.45V
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro

Mushkin (996576) 2X1GB HP2-6400 @ 1000mhz 5-5-5-15 1.9V
eVGA 7600GT KO @ 630/880
Seagate 7200.10 320GB

Samsung SH-162

Samsung 205BW

Logitech Media Keyboard
Logitech MX518

Old May 4, 2008, 02:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyazn View Post
I get what you guys mean...but I don't think I'll be getting a new drive anytime soon...maybe when it's boxing day...so I'm def. gonna reformat again at least once before I do get a new one.

About partitions being difficult to remove...I use PartitionMagic to make them...and I'll be using it to delete them...or is there an even easier way?
No, Partition Magic is great.. and you can do "non-destructive resizing/partitioning"...so better to use it.