Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 21, 2014, 04:23 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Hard Drive Failure Rate Study

TweakTown Hard Drive Failure Rate Study of 25,000 units

Dang, I've got Seagate Drives in my PC.
At least my external backup drive is a W.D.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old January 21, 2014, 05:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

HORRRIBLY biased type of report.

Do you know how many brands of seagate and western digital drives there?

Seagate has like 3 or 4 as does WD... What drives were they using?

Quote:
The study even goes as far as to note that Seagate's Barracuda LP 2TB and Western Digital's Green 3TB both begin accumulating errors as soon as they are spun up for the first time.
LOL using desktop drives in a online backup company? Are they stupid? HAHAHAHA.

Oh man.
Old January 21, 2014, 07:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

No kidding. And in related news, a really incompetant backup company was outed
Old January 21, 2014, 07:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
No kidding. And in related news, a really incompetant backup company was outed
Unfortunately this just gave them a whole whack of "good" press probably more than bad.
Old January 21, 2014, 08:45 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
HORRRIBLY biased type of report.

Do you know how many brands of seagate and western digital drives there?

Seagate has like 3 or 4 as does WD... What drives were they using?

LOL using desktop drives in a online backup company? Are they stupid? HAHAHAHA.

Oh man.
They list all the exact models in the report.

And they run enterprise drives in some of their systems - they compare failure rates between consumer and enterprise drives, and it works out cheaper to just get the cheapest drives available and to replace them when they fail, since everything needs to have multiple redundancies anyway.
Old January 21, 2014, 08:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
They list all the exact models in the report.

And they run enterprise drives in some of their systems - they compare failure rates between consumer and enterprise drives, and it works out cheaper to just get the cheapest drives available and to replace them when they fail, since everything needs to have multiple redundancies anyway.
Of course its cheaper to just put whatever in there... that doesn't mean it makes it better.

Its like saying "This Xerox catridge will yield you 10,000 copies if you print black and white in 8.5x11" and then your customer screams at you when they run out at 2,000 copies because they have been printing on 14x17 paper in full color.

The same thing here.. They stick inexpensive disks into their servers they essentially put EXCESSIVE wear and tear on a drive that in a normal situation would never see in a general 5-10 year span and they go "Well this drive failed in a month".

Anything will fail above a standard or normal usage scenario if its used excessively in what is considered everyday wear and tear.
Old January 21, 2014, 09:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I had VERY bad luck with Seagate drives. Of five, four had to be RMA'd and of all those only two survived after about three years. I still have Maxtors that are humming along nicely. I will probably go with a Samsung SSD and two Hitachi enterprise drives in a NAS for storage on my next build.
Old January 21, 2014, 09:22 PM
MVP

Quote:
Of course its cheaper to just put whatever in there... that doesn't mean it makes it better.

Its like saying "This Xerox catridge will yield you 10,000 copies if you print black and white in 8.5x11" and then your customer screams at you when they run out at 2,000 copies because they have been printing on 14x17 paper in full color.

The same thing here.. They stick inexpensive disks into their servers they essentially put EXCESSIVE wear and tear on a drive that in a normal situation would never see in a general 5-10 year span and they go "Well this drive failed in a month".

Anything will fail above a standard or normal usage scenario if its used excessively in what is considered everyday wear and tear.
It's cheaper even after accounting for replacements - I don't really see why enterprise drives would be a better idea.

Obviously not talking about the ones with super higher failure rates, but the vast majority of desktop drives are just fine.

Backblaze Blog Enterprise Drives: Fact or Fiction?
Old January 21, 2014, 09:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
I had VERY bad luck with Seagate drives. Of five, four had to be RMA'd and of all those only two survived after about three years. I still have Maxtors that are humming along nicely. I will probably go with a Samsung SSD and two Hitachi enterprise drives in a NAS for storage on my next build.
And all I've ever used is Seagate and only had 1 fail in well over 10 years.
Old January 21, 2014, 11:30 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
And all I've ever used is Seagate and only had 1 fail in well over 10 years.
And I've only owned one Seagate and it failed in 3 months. Everyone has different experiences. This data is from 25,000 drives, it's likely more representative than your lesser number of drives. One thing to keep in mind is that the cloud backup drives get used almost 100% for writes, not reads. There may be a type of failure that the Seagates are more prone to under these unusual usage conditions.