Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 20, 2014, 04:03 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Question Frequent file relocation

Hi ! I run a mechanical hard drive 750GB capacity, Win 8.1

i download a lot of movies, series, music.... (everything is legal). So everything i download lands in the same general folder "Downloads". I like to have clear folders, so i wanna creates folders like : "Movies" "Series" "Music".

But i heard that moving frequently "large" file through different folders frequently (on the same disk) might reduce HDD lifetime.
I think (not sure) Win 8 automatically runs "Disk Defragmentation" when it's needed. If it's the case, is that enough to ensure good lifetime on HDD ?
If not, what are my option to have clean folders without reducing HDD lifetime ?

Thanks, i tried to be clear, if you want more information, let me know
Old January 20, 2014, 05:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

No, moving a file between folders hardly does anything at all. It seems instantaneous because it's just telling the File Allocation Table (for instance) to write a reference point as to where the file is, not actually re-write the file somewhere else.

Now try copying the file, you'll see it actually take some time to do.

It almost sounds like you're talking about an SSD. SSD have cells with limited amounts of writes to them, but still, "moving" a file doesn't really do much and causes very little use. Hard drives are unaffected by large amounts of writes and failure is going to be either the controller, mechanical, or just general failure of the media from getting tired / non responsive. With regards to harddrives I don't know if there is anything you can do at all to help prolong life in them.
Old January 20, 2014, 05:45 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Ok well sounds like i have nothing to really worry about. But still, you're saying it just creates a reference point without really moving the file... So isn't there a chance that it might cause HDD to significantly drop in terms of performances (response/access time) ?
And, do you know if WIN8 does defrag the disk on its own when computer is not in use ?
thanks and sorry for the double post
Old January 20, 2014, 06:34 AM
Hall Of Fame

Moving files on a hard drive isn't going to make much difference. Delete large files on a drive will.

If I clear out 600gb of VM machines on my server the drive gets HORRIBLY defragged to the point where I now have a defrag program running every sunday to keep it clean
Old January 20, 2014, 06:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Be default, Optimize Drives, previously called Disk Defragmenter, runs automatically on a weekly schedule
Improve performance by optimizing your hard drive - Microsoft Windows Help

Unless you're into server-style loads, there's a lot more stuff that can kill a hard drive faster than moving files around. (e.g. bad power supply) Also about the reference point, unless your disk is VERY heavily fragmented for a long time (e.g. doing stuff with disk 90% full), then the MFT (where said reference points are) occupy a small portion of the disk.
Old January 21, 2014, 03:58 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

No1 way to kill a hdd is to run it somewhere hot.. See all the time in datacentres that hot-spots cause much more hdd failures.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"

Tags
file , frequent , hdd , relocation