Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 13, 2014, 11:05 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Suggestions for protecting my data

Hi guys,

I'm in need of your suggestions on how best to protect the files on my computer. I currently have ~4.3TB worth of Camera RAW files, music, and misc. files stored on two Caviar Green 3TB drives (they're not in RAID). I plan on purchasing two WD Red 4TB drives to not only increase my capacity (I'm a photographer and I shoot only in RAW), but perhaps more importantly, provide some data security.

I think I will definitely put the two Reds into some sort of RAID volume (most likely RAID 1), but as I'm essentially a noob when it comes to RAID, I could really use some help. Also I'm not sure if it's ideal to put the two 3TB Greens into a RAID 1, also. However my initial plan was to put the two Reds into RAID 1 and use it to store my most important photoshoots, which should take up about 3TB, and dump the less important (but still valuable) leftover data onto another RAID 1 consisting of two 3TB greens. Can my new rig (specs in signature) even support two RAID 1 volumes at the same time??? (Again, sorry, I'm a noob).

My budget right now won't allow for a NAS (nor do I need one, I think), but I could probably squeeze in a RAID controller if you guys think it's best.

Thanks!!!
Photography/Gaming build: i7-4770K, NH-D14, Z87 Sabertooth, 16GB Ripjaws X, GTX 780 OC DirectCU II 3GB, M500 480GB, Caviar Black 2TB, Dual Red 4TBx2 (RAID 1), XFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold, Graphite Series 600T SE White
HTPC build: i5-750, Hyper 212+, P7P55D Pro, 8GB Ripjaws X, R6970 DirectCU II 2GB, Caviar Black 640GB/2TB, Caviar Green 3TB, Seagate Barracuda 3TB, Strider Plus 750W, CM 690 II Advanced
Mobile Media: Asus Transformer Infinity 32GB w/ keyboard dock
Old January 14, 2014, 03:49 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Use some cloud solutions IMO... storage is pretty cheap with the likes of amazon etc. Also has the added benefit of being able to access them anywhere you have a net connection.

Then again with x TB of data it may not fit your needs as costs will soar :(
Though the glacier storage is reasonable at 1 US cent per GB (Not sure about the redundancy of this storage type.. it's also slow (All hdd's, no caching, no sdd's)) but may be worth a look (Works out at about $10/month per TB).

Ideally I would go with something like an external drive + something off-site(touch wood it never happens but if there is a fire or flood or something..)

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"

Last edited by Dzzope; January 14, 2014 at 06:32 AM.
Old January 14, 2014, 06:07 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Yes, your board is more than capable of doing that.

The only thing is though, you still have a single point of failure, that is, your PC. Should something happen, you could potentially kill all drives and data.

Personally, I'd say put 2 drives in your PC as RAID1 for stuff you're currently working on. Then buy a 2-bay NAS, or some form of external enclosure to put the other 2 drives into to use as an "archive". If you have another computer, that would work too. It would be best if this was then powered off when not in use.

At the very least, if you plan to keep it all in your PC, buy a UPS so your PC at least always has stable voltage and can shutdown safely.
Old January 14, 2014, 06:30 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Use some cloud solutions IMO... storage is pretty cheap with the likes of amazon etc. Also has the added benefit of being able to access them anywhere you have a net connection.

Then again with x TB of data it may not fit your needs as costs will soar :(

Ideally I would go with something like an external drive + something off-site.
Cloud does not work for stuff like RAW images. The upload and downloading would be insane.
Old January 14, 2014, 06:31 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Yes, your board is more than capable of doing that.

The only thing is though, you still have a single point of failure, that is, your PC. Should something happen, you could potentially kill all drives and data.

Personally, I'd say put 2 drives in your PC as RAID1 for stuff you're currently working on. Then buy a 2-bay NAS, or some form of external enclosure to put the other 2 drives into to use as an "archive". If you have another computer, that would work too. It would be best if this was then powered off when not in use.

At the very least, if you plan to keep it all in your PC, buy a UPS so your PC at least always has stable voltage and can shutdown safely.
Haha yes, I do have an UPS and also a second PC. I was thinking maybe leaving the two 3TB Greens in my old build and turning them to RAID 1 (after transferring their data onto the RAID 1 volume created with two 4TB Reds on my new rig).
Photography/Gaming build: i7-4770K, NH-D14, Z87 Sabertooth, 16GB Ripjaws X, GTX 780 OC DirectCU II 3GB, M500 480GB, Caviar Black 2TB, Dual Red 4TBx2 (RAID 1), XFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold, Graphite Series 600T SE White
HTPC build: i5-750, Hyper 212+, P7P55D Pro, 8GB Ripjaws X, R6970 DirectCU II 2GB, Caviar Black 640GB/2TB, Caviar Green 3TB, Seagate Barracuda 3TB, Strider Plus 750W, CM 690 II Advanced
Mobile Media: Asus Transformer Infinity 32GB w/ keyboard dock
Old January 14, 2014, 06:37 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Cloud does not work for stuff like RAW images. The upload and downloading would be insane.
They are not that bad... if it's back-up then down is less of an issue.. up you could have a sync job scheduled at night or the like so it won't hurt you.

But anyway... there are ups and downs to both.. but you want redundancy + off site. As said in last post some thing like an external drive or 2 and the same off site, Back-up nightly or before wiping camera memory + a daily / weekly backup on the off site drives is the way to go.. especially if they are work related or precious memories.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old January 14, 2014, 09:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

personally I wouldn't store important things on anything that can have access the internet.
What I would do is have the sata extention cable then plug in the drive or drives into that when I want to access them the one problem with that is you would need to shut down ,plug in the drive or drives then power back up the do that again to disconnect the drives, or you could use the USB external Drive bay but that might be slower